ladlon

Brush switches sometimes don't register

Hi.  I posted about a potential bug in the other section, and it appears to have been now verified by a few other users.

I have both AD and AP, and both appeared to be working fine.  However, lately I have noticed that every once in a while (usually 10% or time or so, although sometimes far more frequently), selecting a different brush (in both personas and apps) resulted in the new brush (in the brush list) in the list hilighting (as it should), but the brush itself appears not to change (the settings don't change, and the resulting stroke is that of the previous brush).  In some instances, it would take up to 4 or so clicks on the new brush in the brush list before the actual brush would change (the hilight appears to ALWAYS work each time).

No trigger or pattern is apparent.  Sometimes, the brushes work fine for quite a stretch, other times, it frequently fails to switch.  One user in the other thread reported that it actually got worse for them, and the issue occurs on every brush switch for them.

I recorded a video, showing the issue.  Here's a small section of that video, showing you me switching brushes, and it not registering sometimes.

AffinityDesigner_BrushSwitchIssue_Snippet.mp4

Among the users in the original thread I created, we believe that it may have something to do with bonus content... perhaps the Daub brushes, as it APPEARS it MAY have started (for me) after installing the Daub Blackbox brush set, and at least one other user believes it MAY have occured (for them) after installing the Daub Kraken set (...although, recently another user claimed they say the issue, and they had not installed any new brushes).

Please refer to my original thread for more info (from other users):

I'm using Win7 Pro 32gigs RAM.  It seems it MAY be a Windows only thing, althogh we are not sure.  So far, the Mac users don't appear to see this issue.

Hi,

It appears to happen for me if I click *just* inside the brush box in the list. i.e. the selection of the listbox changes but it doesn't select the brush. 

Cheers

Chris

Hi.  I'm still experiencing the same bug I noticed when I first purchased Affinity Designer...  Often, I'll select a different brush from the brush library, and even though the new brush is hilighted/selected, the previous brush is still active (any brush strokes I do after selecting the new brush is still done in the old brush's style).

I often have to select the new brush 2 or 3 times before the new strokes are done in the proper style (despite the new brush usually hilighting right away on the first click).

I originally thought it might be some issue with the tablet 'click', but since the brushes in the brush library are hilighting right away, it's obvious that the click registered, and it's the program itself that is still using the stroke from a different brush, despite the new one being selected and hilighted.

I'm using the latest Designer, on a Win7 PC.

I think there may be a recording in a previous thread where I first brought up the issue.

I'll see what I can do about making a new recording.

Doesn't appear to be any obvious 'trigger'...  Just seems like you lose sync between the brush library hilighting vs the actual brush selection... kind of like a quasi-responsive button, but it actually hilights pretty much every time... just doesn't do its task.

I referred to this thread.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/53036-brush-questions/

Same thing happens to me.
sometimes Brush switches doesn't work properly,Windows7 pro 64bit Japanese with mouse and tablet.
This problem for Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 and Customer Beta 1.7.0.188 , Photo 1.6.5.123 and Customer Beta 1.7.0.188.
I 'm remembering no problem in the designer and photo 1.6.1 and older version.

Wow, Kyo.  You got it bad!  Quite consistant.

Thanks for posting that, to help reinforce this issue.  That really shows it clearly.  Odd that with that one stroke, it actually eventually switched over without you re-clicking.. almost like your initial click was delayed.

I'm running into this issue pretty much every session I have in Affinity.  Quite regular.  I'm having to click twice (or more) in the brushes palette, just out of habit now, to assure the brush properly switches.

I have (along with the default brushes) the Frankentoon(?), Daub Blackbox, and from the recent Black Friday sale, theDaub Watercolour/Washes, Markers, and Etching sets.

I guess you'll have to compare that to what Kyo has.

I can't say that I have seen it happening specific to any sets, nor any particular sequence of events or setup.  For me, it just seems to happen quite often, like the buttons are randomly unresponsive (yet the button HIGHLIGHT seems to trigger and hold properly every time).

I'll try and do some more tests, and see if I can isolate any particular factor.

I am also using a tablet (which I believe Kyo is as well)... I have an Intuos4, and I believe Kyo has one of the other Wacom tablets....  Not that I can see that being the factor, since, again, the button hilight seems to always trigger, so the pen doesn't seem to be at fault  I believe I found it happened with my mouse, too.  Both Designer and Photo, too, I think.

I can't really imagine (from a programming standpoint) what would cause the button to hilight, yet the brush to sometimes not switch over.  Keep in mind, too, that it appears that (in Kyo's video) one of the brushes switched over WITHOUT CLICKING A BUTTON...  He clicks the button, the hilight appears and locks to the new brush button... he paints a stroke, and it's the old stroke... he paints again, and it's the old stroke... AND THEN he paints again, and it's the NEW stroke...  So, it's almost like there was a delay... as if (randomly) it sometimes takes a while for the brush (not the button) to switch over, and it's TIME and not necessarily always repeated button presses, that finally cause the proper brush trigger.  That may be a big clue.  I'll have to test that on my side, as up to now, I always clicked the button in between painting brushstrokes in the test.

I'll try and do a new screen recording, as well.

ALSO: Please note the posts (above) from Chris_K and Chris J.

@ GabrielM
@ladlon

Thanks for the reply.
I tried this draw test with almost all brushes.
This problem for both vector brushes and raster brushes.
Maybe
it happen with all of brushes.
I'm using Wacom tablets ( Intuos3 and Intuos4).
It happen with these tablet and mouse too.
From the above, I think that this problem is not caused by a specific brushes and devices.

Thank you.

Any chance you can try this? 

Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Start the program and see if you can still replicate it. 

@ GabrielM

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried it now.
I renamed the configuration folder and Start the program, As a result, the program started up in the initial setting.
Unfortunately, I was able to replicate it.

Thank you.

Right. Ok. If you want, you can rename the newly created 1.0 to 1.0.new and 1.0.Backup to 1.0 and everything will be as before. I will log this with our developers for further investigations. 

Hi

I am still experiencing this problem with the latest version just updated today... This was initially reported nearly 2 years ago.

Any update from the developers? has it been logged as a bug?

Regards

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Hi

I am still experiencing this problem with the latest version just updated today... This was initially reported nearly 2 years ago.

Any update from the developers? has it been logged as a bug?

Regards

Can you confirm if you're on Windows or macOS? Two of us have just been trying this on Windows and it is fine. There's an issue on macOS wherein if you slightly drag instead of press, it will not change brushes.

Edit - This might actually apply to Windows too. Can you confirm that if you are really careful and there's no drag at all, does it correctly select the brush?