You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.3.98

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Stability
Requirements: A valid product key, (issued if Affinity Photo was purchased from Affinity Store).

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post here and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback.

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Fixes

• Improvements to Shadows and Highlights 
  • Improvements to Clarity
  • Fixed View Mode menu item incorrectly exposed in Affinity Photo Export Persona 
  • Fixed double clicking View Tool is not consistent between Personas 
  • Fixed crash when making a gradient document fill global 
  • Improved performance when History and Layers panel are visible
  • Fixed PDF Export for some documents
  • Added bottom right resize grip corner to floating document windows
  • Added Float, Float All, Dock and Dock All commands to Window menu
  • Fixed Adjustment panels appearing at an invalid location if the panel was closed on a monitor which is then subsequently unplugged
  • Fixed metadata not loading for unicode paths opened via drag and drop
  • Fixed failure to close down due to waiting for invalid files to finish opening
  • Fixed Text Styles panel to reflect the document defaults when no text is selected 
  • Fixed Layers panel to add more distinction between clipped and nested layers 
  • Fixed document DPI showing decimal places
  • Fixed Workspaces getting reset when new panels are added in updates
  • Fixed vector export of clips on rasterised items
  • Fixed Fit/Shrink to printable not fitting to printer margins 
  • Fixed second Print having a zero size document in printer dialog 
  • Fixed fonts being rejected if they had a space in their Postscript name
  • Fixed being unable to move the Greyness node in Layer Effects > Colour Overlay
  • Fixed Spacebar not changing cursor to hand when in Develop
  • Improved resizing of floating document windows
  • Fixed closing a floating window through the taskbar closes the app
  • Fixed Alignment Editor applying a second time when clicking away via a direct new selection
  • Changed 'Arrange' button text to be 'Alignment'
  • Fixed being unable to adjust custom wet edges spline 
  • Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once 

Happy New Year, Mark! A great chunk of fixes to test again. Appreciated!

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Here's a test using a recent raw shot. f32, 30sec, ISO50 using Sony A7R2 and FE24-240. Test controls for all images is shadows right up, highlights right down. Notable differences!

Original:

sah-original.thumb.png.c4e7dc89db6d41a52e61d36fbe31b1a9.png

Affinity 1.6.1.93 - Note muddying of shadows.

sah-affinity-1.6.1_93.thumb.png.7de491cad614df69efb0c05ff5b7ed41.png

Affinity 1.6.3.98 - massive improvement!

sah-affinity-1.6.3_98.thumb.png.4ace71adf253208dd907c041492732b6.png

Photoshop CS6 - less improvement of shadows, greater pulling back of highlights

sah-photoshop-cs6.thumb.png.2b37bc400d0b412b9c5adcb51eb02d8d.png

Lightroom 6 - unsurprisingly similar to Photoshop CS6

sah-lightroom-6.thumb.png.7a43435d249709ccff939840a9bde846.png

DxO OpticsPro 11 - much more extreme shadows treatment (is similar to Affinity at about 50%)

sah-dxo-opticspro-11.thumb.png.a0a21baa2838ed89dd124f8a3a4eb354.png

ON1 Photo Raw 2018 - very little change in highlight, less improvement in shadows, good colour control

sah-on1-photo-raw-2018.thumb.png.286dd6a1a56650b24946dff822a78bcf.png

Luminar 2018, similar to ON1 Photo Raw 2018

sah-luminar-2018.thumb.png.86a930fb6f0152bfe2489c0800a53caf.png

If I was to choose one, it would be Affinity. DxO is too extreme in shadows. ON1 and Luminar are less effective, especially in highlights. I would like more highlight control, though - note how the white car headlight streams are separated by Photoshop/Lightroom.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Thanks for adding some important windows handling improvements! Good work.

I will open a thread in the "suggestion" area for further optimisations on the windows handling topic ;)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

9 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Thanks for adding some important windows handling improvements! Good work.

I will open a thread in the "suggestion" area for further optimisations on the windows handling topic ;)

We're always interested in hearing about ways we can improve people's workflows. Anything that speeds up day-to-day work would be appreciated by all users I'm sure.

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

We're always interested in hearing about ways we can improve people's workflows. Anything that speeds up day-to-day work would be appreciated by all users I'm sure.

As you mention it...

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Thanks a lot for this new Beta and big thanks to the development Team for their Work. I start testing now.
The List of fixes and improvements looks very good and i let myself be surprised :)

Happy new year to all.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Hello Mark,
I wish you a happy new year 2018.
Thanks for the new beta,the List of fixes is promising.
I will test the new Beta this evening.:):)

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

WOW WOW WOW WOW.. Guys....
What you´ve done with the RAW Converter??
There are VERY BIG improvements. I am very positively surprised.
Thank you so much for these improvements. It works great now. I´m happy :D

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'm sorry, but I stopped giving my feedback: when you get consistently ignored it doesn't feel good.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Everything seems smoother and faster, in particlular the RAW Develop Module. The day I will ditch Lightroom is not far. Thanks for your work.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

It became much more stable. And the lights are now working more palpably.

1122.thumb.jpg.dcd686cf39eb40d306eebb3b49ba2be7.jpg

The cool tool turns out.

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

45 minutes ago, Akar said:

The list of fixes looks impressive, but unfortunately it still crashes with Neat Image plugin.

Best regards and good luck with next fixes,
Andrzej

Neat Image has released an update to their plugin, version 8.3.3 dated December 27, 2017. It no longer crashes Affinity Photo!

24 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi, you aren't being ignored - we're very busy and there is only so much that we can do. Your reports and suggestions are still logged.

Mark,

I respect all the work you guys do but trust me: I've been posting for two weeks, constantly, and I have got not even a remote sign of life.

I consider myself a user who did a decent contribution here, therefore getting this type of response is not nice.

I know how it works: I would have more chances to get a feedback by registering as a new user.

I have definitely feedback on the new beta, but I won't participate. When it takes time, effort and passion to embrace a new software and there isn't much response, I don't think it is worth it anymore. I think you can totally understand this point.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

7 minutes ago, verysame said:

Mark,

I respect all the work you guys do but trust me: I've been posting for two weeks, constantly, and I have got not even a remote sign of life.

I consider myself a user who did a decent contribution here, therefore getting this type of response is not nice.

I know how it works: I would have more chances to get a feedback by registering as a new user.

I have definitely feedback on the new beta, but I won't participate. When it takes time, effort and passion to embrace a new software and there isn't much response, I don't think it is worth it anymore. I think you can totally understand this point.

Hi Verysame, I know Mark can respond for himself, however as a long time user and beta tester with historic issues with AP I disagree with you.

I know that every user's problem are the MOST important to THEM.

With 30 years IT and Dev experience a product team have a roadmap, then prioritised bug fixes, features and enhancements identified and logged. It is, in my experience, the Product Manager who manages release content based on his/her criteria. Some users shouting louder doesn't come into it. I appreciate the frustration as I am sure Mark and the team do, but like it (or not) we raise the issues, show the proof, product team check them, log them and prioritise. We then await the release that satisfies us...

In the meantime been find workarounds or alternatives....

Cheers, Paul

7 minutes ago, PaulAffinity said:

Hi Verysame, I know Mark can respond for himself, however as a long time user and beta tester with historic issues with AP I disagree with you.

I know that every user's problem are the MOST important to THEM.

With 30 years IT and Dev experience a product team have a roadmap, then prioritised bug fixes, features and enhancements identified and logged. It is, in my experience, the Product Manager who manages release content based on his/her criteria. Some users shouting louder doesn't come into it. I appreciate the frustration as I am sure Mark and the team do, but like it (or not) we raise the issues, show the proof, product team check them, log them and prioritise. We then await the release that satisfies us...

In the meantime been find workarounds or alternatives....

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

When you see posts like "Radial Control Support" getting a good amount of feedback and issues related to 32bit editing, layers workflow, and what not dying buried in old threads, you realize what the priorities are.

Affinity is potentially an advanced product mainly marketed to hobbyist and casual users.

When it will be robust enough at that level (i.e. for the low profile users), then (maybe), other requests will come into play. Until then, I have work to do and despite I hate it, I'll switch back to PS.

Andrew
-

Hi

Thanks for update and it loaded perfectly. Major changes and loads faster than previous version.

Small point although it said it was corrected in the previous update in Develop when in Zoom tool pressing Spacebar does not change to hand tool/move.

"You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Dell Inspiron 5570 i5-8250u | 8gb | SSD.m2 | Win 10 Pro 64