You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi madebyhaniel,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately we don't have any filters like that in Affinity Photo I'm afraid. We do have a pixelate filter found by going to Filter > Distort but it doesn't clump the pixels into solid colours.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Photoscape X is a free program that has the crystalize feature. I know it would be a pain and it wouldn't be an action that you couldn't undo in affinity, but you could get where you wanted with the project export it and then use Photoscape X to crystalize it, then bring that file back to Affinity.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, photogeek said:

Photoscape X is a free program that has the crystalize feature. I know it would be a pain and it wouldn't be an action that you couldn't undo in affinity, but you could get where you wanted with the project export it and then use Photoscape X to crystalize it, then bring that file back to Affinity.

Thanks for the reply!

On 1/9/2018 at 3:37 AM, Callum said:

Hi madebyhaniel,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately we don't have any filters like that in Affinity Photo I'm afraid. We do have a pixelate filter found by going to Filter > Distort but it doesn't clump the pixels into solid colours.

Thanks

Callum

In the future, will it ever be added?

There is a free plugin kit from autoFX called Free Sampler Gen2 that has a mosaic filter that looks very much like Crystallize.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There is a free plugin kit from autoFX called Free Sampler Gen2 that has a mosaic filter that looks very much like Crystallize.

I downloaded the Mac version, added the AFX_Free_64bit.plugin file to the default ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins/ folder, restarted Affinity Photo & it does show up in the Filters submenu.

When applied to a sample photo file, the preview looks good, but after clicking the OK button & getting the warning about being patient & that it would be shown twice more, when I clicked that window's OK button, all I get in the AP document window is a spinning wait cursor. Activity Monitor has been showing AP is using about 100% CPU & "Application not responding" for 10+ minutes, so I am wondering if this is normal or if I should give up & force quit AP.

Has anyone else tried this plugin with AP for Mac, & if so, are you seeing anything similar?

EDIT: I tried several increasingly smaller image files & several of the simpler effects, but the plugin never worked in Affinity Photo or gave me back control of the app, necessitating force quitting AP for each test. Annoyingly, it also opens a promo web page every time it was used. The stand alone app sort of works, but it kept hanging if I tried changing some of the options, so I am not sure it is worth keeping on my system.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Just got home, after playing with it for a while longer it did tend to hang and at times I had to force quit, in windows it works fine albeit a very basic affair and the results weren't that good.

I'll keep searching for "The Temple of the Crystallizer" Starring Harridad Mazda as "Kentucky Evans" 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 6 years later...

I made this account just because I found a real way to Crystallize in Affinity Photo. While this is a solution for V2, I keep forgetting it, and when I search for it I only keep finding this topic which isn't exactly helpful. So here's an actual solution:

The filter you're looking for is actually located in Filters > Colors > Voronoi.

snap8745.png.13631cc40cd7dbe32fdc5fa3c4ca2ef5.png

You'll be greeted with a familiar slider box offering you to pick the cell size, there will also be a second slider for the separator lines between the cells, you can move it all the way to 0 to achieve an effect similar to photoshop's Crystallize.

snap8746.png.72c8f68cd0d5ffeaf58fabf9b2886e2a.png

Et voila!

snap8748.png.f9cd5a041f1aababff5b43b4f1b65c8d.png

(taking this opportunity to say hi to my future self who will forget how to do this in approximately 6 months and will find this exact thread on Google again. Hi!)

2 hours ago, vNDH32ck said:

I made this account just because I found a real way to Crystallize in Affinity Photo. While this is a solution for V2, I keep forgetting it, and when I search for it I only keep finding this topic which isn't exactly helpful. So here's an actual solution:

The filter you're looking for is actually located in Filters > Colors > Voronoi.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @vNDH32ck, and thank you for a very informative first post. :)

2 hours ago, vNDH32ck said:

(taking this opportunity to say hi to my future self who will forget how to do this in approximately 6 months and will find this exact thread on Google again. Hi!)

There’s no need to resort to Google, as long as you can remember how to log in again! Visit your profile page to view your activity here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)