You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Extreme denoising/sharpening

Here's an example of something I just did to balance that tricky situation of a noisy picture where you want to remove noise but preserve detail.

Here's the original image:

angel1.thumb.png.93eb4586289b78f2eacef4de58bdfa05.png

...and here's what happens when you try to denoise it (up to 450% extreme) .. note the loss of detail.

angel1a.thumb.png.b9b36143db36678553e146946fe15711.png

So...

1. Start with Filter/Frequency separation. Allow a fair amount of noise into HF side. (Note this is the only destructive action, so be prepared to return to re-do this as needed).

2. Turn off HF layer so you can see the LF layer alone. This still has noise.

3. Add Gaussian Blur to LF layer to further reduce noise. I used 2px.

4. Show HF layer, turning off LF

5. Add Denoise to HF layer. Click 'Extreme' and increase luminance denoise until noise is much reduced. I used 109%.

6. Add High Pass filter to HF layer. I used 100px and Blend Mode of Linear Light.

7. Re-enable LF layer to see final effect.

angel7.thumb.png.0381ce4740e10dd4661ba5a7c64e3b32.png

There may be even better ways to do this. Any suggestions?

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Interesting approach, Dave, and not one I'd have thought of. On the other hand, I don't even understand Frequency Separation enough to begin to use it or even follow your description. More research to do, I guess :)

Still, to my eye, the final image has lost too much detail on the wings. Is there a way to do some masking to limit the amount of effects applied to them? Or a way to capture some of that detail and add it back in later?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Interesting approach, Dave, and not one I'd have thought of. On the other hand, I don't even understand Frequency Separation enough to begin to use it or even follow your description. More research to do, I guess :)

Still, to my eye, the final image has lost too much detail on the wings. Is there a way to do some masking to limit the amount of effects applied to them? Or a way to capture some of that detail and add it back in later?

Probably is, Walt. I was just playing. I'll keep on twiddling...

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

I tried in  MacPhun's "Noiseless" app, it can install as a plugin for Photoshop app, but I have not been able to get it to work in  AP-Yet-.

I asked the MacPhun team for advise. awaiting answer at this point...

It works great, but I woud need to sharpen it a bit afterwards. I left the preview slider in the screenshot to show the difference.(edit: I used the most extreme settings possible)

Schermafbeelding 2018-01-12 om 09.06.47.png