You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reset Brushes

• 1 year later...

I just purchased Affinity Designer on my iPad and almost immediately ran into this problem as I tried to find and adjust a brush to have thinner width and higher flow for making a quick sketch. I didn’t remember the default values and was trying so hard to find a reset button but to no avail. It seems like such a common and expected use case, so my attempt left me with a bad first impression about the program.

I really hope there will soon be a way to reset these values without reinstalling the app as it would seem to the average user a big hassle and real overkill.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
48 minutes ago, kaiwienen said:

what happens with my artworks?

Any unsaved projects and all files in default (on my iPad) Designer folder will be deleted. Projects stored in other locations on iPad or cloud will not be affected. Note projects on Home screen are deleted if not saved.😲

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

7 hours ago, DM1 said:

all files in default (on my iPad) Designer folder will be deleted

Whoa! I'm glad I came browsing out of curiosity!! Clicking the "next unread topic" button idly.

So @DM1, to be totally and absolutely clear... if within the files App, I move the files to another folder that I create... still "On my iPad"... that would preserve them in the event I have to uninstall Affinity?

If yes (I understand correctly), then when I choose "Save" in the Home screen, will that recreate the file into the 'default' on-my-ipad folder, or will it update the file in its new location?

Can I add the 'new' folder I've created to the preferences "default save location"? Just been in and the option to choose another folder does not appear there.

Just trying to understand workflow for managing files.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

6 hours ago, ProDesigner said:

to be totally and absolutely clear... if within the files App, I move the files to another folder that I create... still "On my iPad"... that would preserve them in the event I have to uninstall Affinity?

Yes.

when I choose "Save" in the Home screen, will that recreate the file into the 'default' on-my-ipad folder,

Yes, the first time. After that it updates the same linked  file.

or will it update the file in its new location?

Home screen  Save behaviour depends on how the file was 'opened'. It saves and updates new files to Default folder. It saves files that have been 'opened from Cloud' method, back to that files source location.

the option to choose another folder does not appear there.

No. You need to use the Document Menu Save a Copy in the Workscreen. After renaming and clicking on Save you get the ability to navigate to any folder location available via Files app (including Cloud). 
If you want your workflow to first use only your own folders then you need to save using this method, then return to Project screen, close the file, (removes file from sandbox) then use Open from Cloud to navigate to your folder, open your new copy and now you have a Save option in Document menu that will update the file stored in your folder. The Project screen Save now saves to this location too (for this file). The sandbox version links to the initial save location. If you change save location you need to open the file from the new location to create a 'linked' version in sandbox.

If that’s too confusing and you have a reliable iCloud connection and plenty of storage then set default storage folder to iCloud and just use Home screen save. Removing app doesn’t effect cloud storage.😁

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Great response @DM1.

Big thank you for taking the time to go through all that. Really appreciate it. This stuff is important to know/understand.

I've read it a couple of times and am still absorbing it. Best way for my brain to 'get-it' now is to play with a "non-critical" file - which I will now spend some time doing.

Your guidance here will mean I can do the exercise in an informed way and it'll all drop in to place.

--------------

I've assumed it's more to do with how Apple have designed the architecture of their iOS - something Serif have no choice but to work with when designing the Affinity suite.

When I first encountered iOS devices, I felt Apple had made a bad call somewhere on this based on a mistaken roadmap. I've no idea if I'm correct - it's an instinctive assessment, as OS design is well beyond my comfort zone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.