You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush vs Smear Brush vs Eraser Brush

In AD, I'm noticing some of my imported brushes have an icon on the right side indicating the paint brush or the smear brush.  And when that brush is selected it will force the corresponding tool.  Brushes without that icon can be used according to which tool is previously selected.  How does this work? I could find no mention of it in the documentation.  How do you create brushes that pre-select the tool, and is there a way to change existing brushes to not have this behavior?

In this topic, I just recently commented about the "Associated Tool" item being unique to Affinity Photo. Can someone confirm if this is correct and/or if it applies to both the Mac & Windows versions?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

24 minutes ago, R C-R said:

In this topic, I just recently commented about the "Associated Tool" item being unique to Affinity Photo. Can someone confirm if this is correct and/or if it applies to both the Mac & Windows versions?

I do not see an "associated tool" setting for brushes with Affinity Designer for Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This is an AP only setting, which might be shown up in AD for those bitmap/pixel brushes which instead have been created in AP and are reused then in AD too.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

With show up I meant this here ...

In AD, I'm noticing some of my imported brushes have an icon on the right side indicating the paint brush or the smear brush...

... and not the "Associated Tool" item setting on brush editing/customization option panel itself.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

FWIW, this is what I see in the Brushes panel for the Daub Blenders in AD Pixel Persona:

5a5128158ae57_Daubblenders.png.7d4402de2ee694a4244c5c78fa1c9665.png

But even when as shown I select one of them, the tool does not switch to the Smudge one as shown on the right of the brush. Not shown in this shot, the Move tool remains selected. Everything works as expected in Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, sleekdigital said:

I'm using AD 1.6.2.97 on Windows.  Maybe you are using a different version, but for me it does switch to the smear tool when I select any of those brushes.

As shown in my sig below all my posts, I am using AD 1.6.0 on an iMac. I was using macOS Sierra 10.12.6 but I just finished upgrading to macOS High Sierra 10.13.2.

I just checked again with the Daub Blenders in Pixel Persona on the freshly updated macOS & I still get the same behavior: selecting any of the Daub Blender brushes does not switch to the Smudge Brush Tool.

Affinity Photo