You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How would you recreate a retro font?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to recreate this 70's font. The blocking out of the main white shapes is easy enough, but I'm struggling to find a way to accurate recreate the thinner black lines of this font. When I draw it free hand, it just looks off, as human error creeps in and the bezier curves just don't look right.

I've tried expanding stroke, then adjusting the stroke on the expanded stroke layer, but it's still not right. Any advice?

2.JPG

3.JPG

I would take some appropriate font (maybe Avenir Next which is available in many styles), then type in sized fitting variants of the 7 and 0, convert them to curves for possible node adjustments, lay them over the other and combine them (add, substract etc.) into the wished result form.

Somehow like this ...

old_school.jpg.0fae3f4736531bd0e2035c8937c1401e.jpg

... where you finally would have to fit then the 7 and 0 closer together and combine them. Here nothing is hand drawn so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You can try with different combined styles (ultralight, normal, medium, halfbold, bold ... etc.) of the numbers of a font and see which of those then do fit best together, with just having to make minimal adjustments when converted to nodes and combined together. - I've used ultralight, medium and halfbold for the 70.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Aren't these called Neon or disco fonts?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions