You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any way to extract textures from the brush files?  I love the Daub brushes but some of them have errors in the textures.  For example the Watercolor blender.  At least one of the 3 brush nozzles is creating square artifacts.  Its a shame because it would otherwise be a great brush.  It would be great if I could extract it, fix it, and replace it.

For this specific case, perhaps you should instead contact the creator of the brushes and report the issue so he can fix it for everyone who has them?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh... I see there is nothing really wrong with the watercolor brush, it was just the result of using it near hard edges. 

EDIT:  Actually the square artifacts seem to be a result of the large size jitter.  You have to reduce it quite alot to get it to go away.

Still, i'd love to know how to extract textures.

Yes, first of all you should ask and talk with Paolo Limoncelli (Daub) about this theme, since like others already correctly stated, it might be of wider and general interest if changes are made to the set.

However, if you copy and open a brush inside AD for editing it's settings etc. there is a "texture tab" on the editing - brush panel, where you can add and remove textures (PNGs) from the brush you are actually editing. So you can exchange the texture there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, sleekdigital said:

I love the Daub brushes but some of them have errors in the textures.  For example the Watercolor blender.  At least one of the 3 brush nozzles is creating square artifacts.

In both Affinity Photo & Affinity Photo I sometimes get weird square artifacts with raster brushes, & I am not sure that it happens only with the Daub ones. The artifacts are not just square but they also create areas of transparency (the checkerboard pattern shows through). I have not determined if this happens only if the document is set to have a transparent background, but what I have noticed is that if I undo the brush stroke, choose another brush & then the original one again, most of the time it no longer creates any artifacts.

I am not sure what to make of that....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, sleekdigital said:

Thanks, but I know all that.  What I would like to do is extract the existing texture so I can make changes to it. 

There are tools available where you can at least extract the underlayed/embedded PNG textures of PS ABR file or GIF format brushes etc., though I think the afbrushes file format is slightly different here. - On the other hand if you adjust a brush accordingly in AD/AF and draw with a selected brush on a transparent document background you can get a copy of that brush texture which you can modify and save as a PNG. Then you can reuse that modified PNG as a replacement texture on the initial brush settings, or maybe better create instead an entire new brush out of it with your made modifications.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2