You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Affinity Photo sucks and rocks!

The reason I write this is because I just switched from Photoshop to Affinity Photo and I really like it. I bought it and I don't regret it. Great work! Still, I have some nags I want to share with you.

I use it in Windows.

Website, without a proper screenshot

I was looking for a great Photoshop clone. Maybe you don't like to see Affinity Photo as a Photoshop clone, but for a newbie user it kind of is.

When visiting the website there is no screenshot of the program right away. The screenshots that are there are tilted or cropped. I needed to use Google Image search to see how the program actually looked like. I think you would get more sales with a screenshot directly, maybe instead of that purple hero lady.

A great example of what I mean is this site: https://zoommyapp.com/ A screenshot directly that shows how it looks like.

Performance

I've watched Youtube videos and people have compared performance to Photoshop. Where Affinity is slower is on HDR images, startup load and opening files.

People are also missing a loading indicator when opening multiple files.

Save as png or jpg not possible

When saving file (CTRL + S) it's not possible to select jpg or png. Instead I need to export the file. While it seems logical to have it as an export, it's a nag. Can't you just add the other formats in the save filebox as well? Maybe like "Export to png" and it will be clear that the layers will be lost.

New file, wrong filesize

When I have an image in the clipboard I often used new file (CTRL + N) in Photoshop. It would take the filesize of the clipboard image. I can just hit ok and I paste it in. That is not possible with Affinity Photo. Instead I get another resolution. I need to use "New from clipboard". I think both ways would be best to have.

Crop to selection

You have a great cropping, but sometimes you already have a selection and want to use that for a crop. So this is a feature request.

Filters merged into layers

If I use a filter it will be merged into a layer. In Photoshop they are put more like an adjustment layer. The benefit is if you want to change the blur value later for example.

Sometimes hard to understand

I still don't know, if I set a style, how can I unset the style? I can set other styles and even delete them, but unset it seems to be impossible right now. Maybe you need to correct me on this one.

Only 10 days trial

I was stressed to try it out in 10 days. I had other things to do during these days as well. I would like it to be 20 days at least.

Why Affinity Photo rocks

• It's a great tool if you are used to Photoshop. The UI and features are similar or better in most cases.
  • It's all in the details. Every feature I tested is like Photoshop, but one step ahead. More thought into every feature.
  • It's not a monthly fee.
  • The price is low.

In conclusion, the greatest image software I've tried so far, with just a very few nags.

• Staff

Hi Jens, I can address a couple of these points quickly:

Website, without a proper screenshot

I was looking for a great Photoshop clone. Maybe you don't like to see Affinity Photo as a Photoshop clone, but for a newbie user it kind of is.

When visiting the website there is no screenshot of the program right away. The screenshots that are there are tilted or cropped. I needed to use Google Image search to see how the program actually looked like. I think you would get more sales with a screenshot directly, maybe instead of that purple hero lady.

A great example of what I mean is this site: https://zoommyapp.com/ A screenshot directly that shows how it looks like.

I appreciate it's not a solution, but there are a plethora of video tutorials that will show you the interface in detail. You can check them out on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZ7Y0kROWitLXsh6z4Z3qBYCS6xoIXHN and in particular there's a Discover video here which runs through the interface: https://youtu.be/_wwgo9Z9yYQ

Save as png or jpg not possible

When saving file (CTRL + S) it's not possible to select jpg or png. Instead I need to export the file. While it seems logical to have it as an export, it's a nag. Can't you just add the other formats in the save filebox as well? Maybe like "Export to png" and it will be clear that the layers will be lost.

If you open a JPEG or PNG straight into Photo, you'll be able to "write back" to them instantly based on edits you've made. If you've made purely destructive edits, using Save or CTRL+S will write back to the file instantly. If you've added non-destructive adjustments, filters, etc, then you'll get a prompt to either flatten and overwrite the initial file, or to save as an .afphoto document to retain the non-destructive edits.

You can also do this with PSD documents, but you need to enable write-back through Preferences.

I appreciate that having common file formats on a typical Save dialog would be useful; for now, though, you could quickly use the Export shortcut (Shift + Ctrl + Alt + S) and it will remember the last image format and preset you were using.

Filters merged into layers

If I use a filter it will be merged into a layer. In Photoshop they are put more like an adjustment layer. The benefit is if you want to change the blur value later for example.

Photo has live filter layers, they're accessed from the Layer menu. They behave like adjustment layers, so you can indeed tweak filter settings and edit the filter's mask whenever you want. Bear in mind that although you can add separate mask layers to adjustments and filters, there's no need to. Just click on the layer's thumbnail - that's the mask. So you can invert it, paint on it using white/black to show/hide parts of it, Alt+click to isolate it, etc.

Hope that helps, that's all I've got time for this evening! (Got to go and play with the dogs ;))

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I am also new to Affinity Photo. I have Photoshop CS6 an Paintshop Pro 2018 Ult.

I bought Affinity Photo shortly after I bought PSP and Alienskin Eye Candy 7, and already I can do drop shadows and 3D text without filters.

I agree that there is one problem I am unhappy with. I want tot paste from the clipboard to a clean Affinity Desktop. I don'n want to open a blank layer with the same size or bigger first. PSP will accept any paste as a new image.

1 hour ago, Johan Crous said:

I agree that there is one problem I am unhappy with. I want tot paste from the clipboerd to a clean Affinity Desktop. I don'n want to open a blank layer with the same size or bigger first. PSP will accept any paste as a new image.

File->New From Clipboard  (shortcut: ctrl alt shift n, by default, but you can customize that from the preferences dialogs)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello John,
As a tip: use the great help of Affinity Photo,
It's like a manual, maybe a little toilsome to read it.
But it's worth it.
see screenshot:

Affinity-Photo-Help-1.PNG

Affinity-Photo-Help-2.PNG

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Performance

I've watched Youtube videos and people have compared performance to Photoshop. 

Hmmm...yep, it has some issues. But I very firmly disagree with the last part. Seen very concluding and impacting videos, read reviews, etc, of how much of a resource hog is the new PS. Even more than before. People keep doing comparisons with CS2, CS5, CS6. This is not a real comparison, as both AP and PS attend the needs and features of today, much more demanding. None of both is a king in performance, but if I'd have to opt, AP is definitely more snappy than PS CC latest.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

18 hours ago, Johan Crous said:

I agree that there is one problem I am unhappy with.

After all, your question has already been answered!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I got some great information by you guys. Thanks!

Still nags (my point of view)

• Website, without a proper screenshot - There seems to be many great video tutorials however.
  • Performance - HDR seems to be much slower than Photoshop, watching Youtube comparations.
  • Crop to selection - The cropping tool is not a full workaround, so it's still an issue.
  • Only 10 days trial

Nags but has workarounds

• Save as png or jpg not possible - But it's possible to export instead.
  • New file, wrong filesize - But "New from clipboard" works as a good alternative.

Solved

• Filters merged into layers - It's not in the filter menu but in the layer menu. It's a natural place, but maybe not for the Photoshop users as it's in filters in Photoshop.

Github?

I've read some other post in the forum and every issue should be an own post in the forum? I think a much better approach would be to start a Github repository. It does not need to contain any code, but it has a really nice issue ticket system. I think it would make it easier for everyone.

Save as png or jpg not possible - But it's possible to export instead.

Many other apps use this logic. Even PS did so for a while (later it provided both export and save as or save for the web for those two, it's a matter that has been changing)

IMO that's way, way too unimportant.... (no offense ;) )

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hey, I wanted to do this seriously. So I did code an app to better evaluate the pros and cons...But run into probs....I'm gonna sue you , Serif, you made my system unstable !

affinity-pros.thumb.png.7a6dce87bbf01e36df8bd3bdfb4f1f6c.png

affinity-cons.thumb.png.912eb88b1506c7e530a2aeaaeb8ef4c2.png

(Yeah, here's hoping that'll be the one and only 5 minutes stupidity of the day.... :$ ...SORRY...)