You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Center object inside another object (horizontal and vertical)

Hey! :)

I've bought Affinity Designer about a day ago and haven't found out how to center a object (e. g. Text) inside another element (e.g. rectangle, square, ..). I know there's a way to center an object inside the whole page (using Layer -> Align -> Center) but I don't know if there's a way to use this tool to also center something inside another element. 

And is there a shortcut for the above called menu buttons? It's pretty unhandy to navigate through the menu everytime I want to center a text on the whole page.

Greetings,
Lars

Click on this button for aligning objects (including Artistic text)

align.png.a52a448ed3bc091d6a99176d1ff04a3c.png

Opens this box with lots of alignment options. Currently set to Selection bounds.

5a5027076bf55_alignoptions.png.30adeb68c428ccea69f21466cb284f0e.png

You can set these as keyboard shortcuts in preferences

prefs.png.4f2e6b07238341ef9015655bc9446f70.png

Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts 

Choose Layer from the second menu

layer.png.4e3434ba2bc342857bb5ad15015e5a77.png

As for frame text, that can be aligned vertically in it's frame

vertical.png.c0bea720a3387bd359152acc0e4e0822.png

You can also set shortcuts.

5a5028c7cab08_textvertical.png.2a373460a5a0c9c5000fd38ef9935210.png

Choose Text from the second menu.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to align vertically and horizontally simultaneously? I'd like to be able to center text to an object selected in just one step if possible. As of now, I can only do one at a time.

Also, I've been searching for a way to copy an object or text, then click on any part of my document hoping that when I select "paste" it will paste to where I last clicked my cursor. It only pastes onto the copied object (paste in place) instead. In other applications, I'm able to paste where I have clicked my cursor onto. Is this possible in Affinity Designer?

In God's Harmony

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, roddy said:

Is there a way to align vertically and horizontally simultaneously? I'd like to be able to center text to an object selected in just one step if possible. As of now, I can only do one at a time.

Also, I've been searching for a way to copy an object or text, then click on any part of my document hoping that when I select "paste" it will paste to where I last clicked my cursor. It only pastes onto the copied object (paste in place) instead. In other applications, I'm able to paste where I have clicked my cursor onto. Is this possible in Affinity Designer?

Not in Designer. In Photo you could write (a very short) macro. Sorry.

If you want to copy and position an object in one go, it would probably be better to press down Ctrl (PC) then click and drag the object. That copies it and lets you drag it to where you want.

Not quite what you want but the same effect?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks toltec,

I'm on a Mac, so Command or Option + drag will do as you suggest, but, as you asked, same effect, but not what I want. I don't understand why it is set to paste on top of what you copy. Most programs that allow graphics, even simple ones, default in allowing the user to copy, then click somewhere else to paste. This would be so much quicker and efficient.

As to my alignment question, it would be easier if it had the option to align vertically and horizontally simultaneously. I'd prefer to avoid a macro, but if that is the only way, oh, well. 

In God's Harmony

35 minutes ago, roddy said:

I don't understand why it is set to paste on top of what you copy.

Shadows and highlights are often added to a drawing by pasting a copy of the shape exactly on top of the original, filling it with black or white and applying a gradient transparency. Moving a pasted shape to a new position is much simpler than adjusting an offset copy to be exactly aligned with the original.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, roddy said:

Most programs that allow graphics, even simple ones, default in allowing the user to copy, then click somewhere else to paste. This would be so much quicker and efficient.

How so? If you want to copy an object to different location, what could be quicker or more efficient than just command or option dragging on the original & dropping the copy wherever you want it to be? There is no need for the three separate copy, click, & paste steps. It is all done in one step & you can see exactly where the copy will be placed as you drag it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Alfred,

I understand the convenience in regards to shadows and highlights, but if I click on an object and "Copy", then not click anywhere and immediately "Paste" it will do that. But, if I click somewhere else, I'd like it to paste where I just clicked.

R C-R,

I also understand your reasoning, but I have had some designs where it is easier to click my cursor in areas that are farther from the copied object, and also when I have to magnify the area I'm going to paste into because of overlapping objects, etc.

In God's Harmony