You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI!

I'm trying to use Apply image on iPad but I have unexpected results. 

First of all, how I can select another layer as source? In Desktop version I have to drag the layer on the Apply Image filter's box. (Why not to show all layers in the list???)

Here on iPad it doesn't work. I didn't find any way to make it works. 

And I made a macro on Desktop version, doing something like this. Of course, it works with every single images. If I import that macro on iPad, I have very odd result. Something doesn't work at all on iPad with Apply Image. 

Maybe this will help? From AP help file:

About Apply Image

Apply Image lets you blend a layer from a source image into a target image's layer. The images are composited into a single layer. Channel expressions and blend modes are available to composite the layers.

The source image can be scaled automatically to the target image horizontally, vertically or both, avoiding having to size the images equally first.

To blend two images:

1    Open your target image.

2    From the Layers Studio, select the layer that you want to blend the source image with.

3    From the Filters Studio, select Apply Image.

4    Tap Image and navigate to, then select the source image to import.

5    Select a Blend Mode to alter how the source image's colours blends with the target image.

6    (Optional) Set the Opacity level to control how transparent the imported image appears.

7    (Optional) Tap Scale Horizontal To Fit to disable scaling to fit, i.e. the imported image's native width is used. When enabled, the image is stretched/shrunk to the main image. The Scale Vertical To Fit operates the same but in relation to height.

8    Tap the check mark to apply.

To use channel expressions:

1    With the Apply Image context toolbar open, either load an image or change Mode to Current Layer to blend the image with itself.

2    Navigate to further options on the context toolbar and enable Equations in order to enable channel blending.

3    Choose a Colour Space to blend.

4    Now use the available expressions to blend channel information. Some expressions include:

Use D+Channel to specify a destination image channel (the original layer), e.g., DB for Destination Blue channel.

Use S+Channel to specify a source image channel (the image you have loaded in), e.g., SR for Source Red channel.

Use +, -, *, / to add, subtract, multiply or divide respectively, e.g., SR/SG*SB to divide Source Red by Source Green and then multiply by Source Blue.

•  

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

No. It doesn't work. When I select the source layer, the filter affects the source layer as well.

Why not make it simpler? Showing all layer in the list? Like PS does! 

To have the result I want I have to export the layer as JPEG on Files, select the layer, choose apply image and then tap Image and navigate to, then select the source image to import. Too long and waste of time (and battery as well). 

And I can't make it with macros. Because the macro that works on AF Desktop, doesn't work on iPad. 

I guess Apply Image does work as described. You can blend an image with itself or import another image to blend with the current image.  I agree it does not appear possible to select a different layer within the current image. I tried placing an image and attempted to blend the background image and placed image, but could not find any way to navigate within the layers. If this is what you need it to do perhaps request a change in the feature request thread.

I'm not sure how this Apply Image is different to simply placing a second image in the layer stack and tapping the circle with the dots in it, get to the layer options and simply adjust the blend mode of the placed images layer? The outcome appears to be the same apart from not changing the original image in any way. Would that achieve the outcome you are after?

Hopefully a moderator will be along to clarify intended operation.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/