You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Daub blender brushes....what is a blender

I recently downloaded the Dub blender brushes ( thank you so much)......but I have a question on blenders........

What makes them blenders.....is there a special setting......

How can yo set a brush up just the blend ( not smudge per say but blend 2 colors like in photoshop) 

Or is the term "blender" just more about the texture and it works as a normal brush. 

I have been playing with them and have not seen the difference....so maybe I am looking for something that isi not there

Thanks for the help

The smear tool is what the Daub Blender brushes use.  It seems to me that the smear tool works similar to blending in Photoshop.  

What I haven't figured out is how you make a brush that defaults to the smear tool instead of the brush tool... maybe it depends on which tool is selected when the brush is created?

1 hour ago, sleekdigital said:

What I haven't figured out is how you make a brush that defaults to the smear tool instead of the brush tool... maybe it depends on which tool is selected when the brush is created?

From what I can tell, you can associate brushes with particular tools in Affinity Photo but not in Affinity Designer. So for example, while the Daub Blenders all show the Smudge tool icon in the Brushes panel of both apps, in Affinity Designer there is no way to have the Smudge Tool automatically selected when one of them is selected in the Brushes panel. :|

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

From what I can tell, you can associate brushes with particular tools in Affinity Photo but not in Affinity Designer. So for example, while the Daub Blenders all show the Smudge tool icon in the Brushes panel of both apps, in Affinity Designer there is no way to have the Smudge Tool automatically selected when one of them is selected in the Brushes panel. :|

Actually it does automatically select to the tool in AD.  But there is no way to adjust that behavior from inside AD, apparently.

24 minutes ago, sleekdigital said:

Actually it does automatically select to the tool in AD.  But there is no way to adjust that behavior from inside AD, apparently.

That isn't happening for me. :(

I am currently using AD 1.6.0 for Mac on macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. I have not tried it with a beta.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7