You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and drop png from external source? Save custom tool settings?

Hi,

I have a ton of furniture symbols in png format which I can browse wonderfully in Irfan view.
At the moment I need to drag each symbol into affinity photo to open it and than copy it with select all and paste it into my floorplan.
It would be saving a huge amount of work if I could just drag the symbols directly into the open affinity photo floorplan.

Can this be done somehow?

One more last thing ;) is it possible, or will it in the near future be possible to save ones own prefered default settings for tools?
Example. Click on the pen tool and have it automatically set to the last settings or ones own preferred settings, like width 28px, line mode, arrow end,...

Thanks for your input.
I am using Photo&Designer on a windows desktop.

Has been requested many times before ...

It would even be better to include (import) these kind of symbols or small pictures in an asset management as Affinity Designer already offers ... wishful thinking. Maybe one day our voices will be heard ...

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

The image from the IrfanView main program or it's Thumbnail Viewer can't be dragged onto the open active document but you can drag the image onto either the open file name or Layers Tab (the actual Layers tab - not the list of layers) and a new document will open.

or you could add Affinity as an external editor in IrfanView and then use the short cut listed in IrfanView to send the image to Affinity  > IrfanView - Options - Properties/Settings - Miscellaneous -  Set external editors - browse to Affinity Photo.exe.

I think this is an issue with IrfanView as Dragging and Dropping a file onto an open image works as expected when using - Windows File Explorer, Corel Connect, Adobe Bridge, Zoner Photo, P3dO Explore, Microsoft Photo Gallery etc.. even the now defunct Serif PhotoPlus organiser can ;)...

@Franzi von Fragenfeld / @DarkClown, @adi is correct, this is a problem with IrfanView, not Affinity Photo. When you offer drag / drop support, you tell Windows about what formats you can provide. IrfanView is only providing File drag drop (which is why you can open the images as a new document when dropping on the UI and not the open document). If they were to offer the drag drop as BITMAP or PNG, you would be able to drag straight into the open document.

Of course you can open it in AP from IrfanView through the "external Editor" functionality -. different story. But let's have a closer look at drag & drop:

In IrfanView (Thumbnail View) files can be d&d into the empty workspace. Works in AP as well as in PS. Since serif doesn't care the slightest bit for workflow AP opens up the new doc in a full size, docked window so from now on no further d&d will be possible unless you undock and resize the previously loaded document and d&d new files on the empty workspace again. How it should be done -> just copy PS windows handling! Works perfectly in PS since it does not only open the new document in an undocked window - leaving worspace for more files to be d&d'ed seperately as new windows, but also allows d&d into an already existing document as a new layer (an issue that hast been mentioned ages ago cand still is not implemented properly!). So a major part of the problem is the catastrophic windows handling of AP.

And yes, new files can be added as new layes to existing documents when you d&d them from within the windows explorer. (So it is possible - it's just not implemented properly!). Why should Adobe be able to overcome a "malfunction" of IrfanView but AP isn't (if it's caused by IrfanView)? - And I'm pretty sure: arrogant Adobe will not spend one single thought on adapting their SW to "bugs" of any small, thirdparty freeware product!!! So apparently adobe allows "file" d&d and not only "bitmap" d&d to layers as well!

Hmmm, unlike adi says it dosn't fully work with Adobe Bridge either (drag & drop onto AP from the "favourites" folder is not working AT ALL). This is even worse than IrfanView since it will not even open the file on an empty workspace - it only works from the "content" window of Bridge... even though all d&d actions from any window work perfectly with PS ;)! But I guess it's the same issue as in IrfanView (file d&d instead of bitmap)

Frankly spoken, this is all not thought through by serfif at all! And I have to say it again, it feels like noone is really using the product on a daily base.

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

HHi Darkclown,

I understand where you are coming from however, I use AP every day.

I use it 3-4 hours or more EVERY day.

Why is important to know is that AP, like ALL products is used by everyone in their own unique way. 

My workflow is jpg based, and roughly follows;

I infrequently use DarkTable for some raws. I use MS ICE for image stitching.

Next is Jpg clean up, crop, detail and blemishes or cloning. Save as a master.

Then create multiple layers.

Do any merging, copy and paste when making montages or composites.

Edit in AP with NIK or Topaz for colour and details.

Further AP edits, crop, blending as required. Possible edit in Corel Painter.

If so back to AP for colour, brightness, lighting filter and final crop.

Done. Save as a photo and jpg.

For me, AP is perfect.

I can take from 25 minutes to 3 hours per image...

It has everything I need. I am a photographic club member I'm the UK and my images win many competitions, including the US, PSA.

For me it is a robust, reliable product.

Enjoy....!

PS. An example from Brighton, UK.

_DSC1861_XXX-001.jpg

Hi,

beeing the thread opener, I see a simple solution based on the above, which could solve this.
Unfortunetly I am not enough computer buff to implement it myself. Surely the guys from Affinity could do this somehow.

Btw. I love both programs and some of the functions are tremendously helpful in my day to day work!!

I could envision the follow as a macro or a function which gets switched on or off with a single click for the next few drag and drop processes:

1)Switch option on

2)Affinity opens the new file dropped onto it anywhere in the current window. This happens in the background, hidden from the user.

3)Affinity copies that files complete content automatically. All in the background, hidden from the user.

4)Affinity drops the files content at the location the user clicked in. All in the background, hidden from the user.

5)Affinity closes the file it copied the content from again automatically. All in the background, hidden from the user.

6)User can repeat 2)-5) as often as he needs to.

7)User switches the option off when he doesn't need it anymore.

Anyone here who could implement this with a macro?
Could Affinity create that feature?

Thanks,

Franzi

That definitely cannot be done with an Affinity Photo macro, and I cannot envision a way to improve the macro capatilities that would allow it. It would have to be a new, built-in, function implemented by the Affinity products.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @PaulAffinity, I agree with you - everyone uses AP in their own way. And I'm convinced that things that bother me do not matter for other people in the same way!
I don't think it's got to do with jpeg based workflow - I still use LightRoom and only postprocess my pictures in AP (at least I try to when it's not related to time precious business - regrettfuly) - so it's as well "JPG" workflow
You seem to work with many pictures as well ... don't you use macros?? Happy with the AP implementation? Not beeing able to add all essential functionalities in an AP Macro?
How do you export (with AP not saving any presets at all)? Adding all your personal presets from scratch each time again and again?
Are you adding Watermarks? Where do you get them from? Drag and Drop? (No Assets, no drag and drop from common tools like IrfanView or Bridge?) Are you searching them in the windows explorer and adding them?
Paul, I know where you are comming from, but we have a formular 1 car here with the greatest competitive engine but no doors, a wooden steering wheel, no windscreen and rain tyers on a sunny day. It would be quite easy to make it a real racing car but serif is concentrating on adding "winglets" and a third set of rear mirrors. I never said you can't win a race with AP ... but as long as winning races with other products is much easier in terms of workflow in many ways ... it's a bit of a sad story ...

BTW: great picture ... a little bit overdone in the cloud contrast (and a general slight brighten up) - from my very personal, very subjective point of view :-) ... and always keep in mind ... using AP doesn't make you a bad photographer! It just takes these essential bits longer in post processing that matters to people that make a living out of it ...

@Franzi: your concern makes sense ... no way to implement it through a macro ... this needs to be implemented on a programming level. And serif could - if they want to. But better don't raise expectations to high ... on the other hand ... never give up hope ;)

Thanks Darkclown.

Photo just an untypical example.

I NEVER use presets or macros, except dodge, burn and setup. I use Picasa for batch watermarks.

My premise (I have travelled 56 countries and live/travel) in a motorhome (now driving through Spain) - is that every single image I process Individually... While the top level process is the same, no presets, macros or anything.

I have over 180,000 of my own images...

I want every single image to be completely unique.

Again, for me, AP is a cheap and efficient way of getting what I enjoy...

Cheers Paul

PS. Maybe this is more your style?

BowieTOP.jpg

Hi Mark & Chris,

awesome news, can't wait to give it a try!

Thanks & keep up the good work.

One more regarding tool status saving.
This would perhaps also be helpful for things like "outer shadow" on layers. The reason is that one generally would keep shadow strength, variation and direction throughout a drawing, or even across several drawings of the same kind.
Similar to the "Grid on/off" in the perspective tool. I hardly ever use the grid and switching it off every time is a real pain if you use it often.

Best regards,

Franzi

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.