Consecca

Affinity Designer Vs Affinity Photo

Hi

Can someone tell me the difference between Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer?

Do you need both of these to work with raster images /photo editing and work with vectors?  I had the impression that you could work with vectors/draw logos/illustrations and edit photos/raster images in one Affinity app but is that not the case?

Thanks

Dean

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer is an hybrid vector/raster illustration and graphic/web/UI design application. You can use it to design/layout websites (visually - no code output), user interfaces, and all type of print/graphic work like flyers, posters, banners, logos, etc except projects that rely on heavy/linked text blocks (we will have another app later for that - Affinity Publisher). It also great for illustration work both vector and raster based (or mixed simultaneously). Although it has a few basic tools commonly found in  photo editing apps - Selection tools, Flood Fill, Dodge/Burn etc / its photo editing abilities/funcionality are not comparable to a true/complete photo editor. You don't have access to channels, RAW development/conversion, HDR merge/tone mapping, panorama stitching, Filters etc etc just to name a few.

Affinity Photo is a RAW converter/developer and photo editing app. It mostly used to convert/develop RAW images (taken with digital cameras), for photo editing/compositing and painting/illustration (raster based brushes only).

Hi MEB

Thanks for your rapid and helpful response!  So I am right in thinking that Affinity Photo would be much more essential for Photographers and Fashion Designers that do a ton of RAW image editing, where as myself who is a Web Designer could I get by just fine on Affinity Designer?  but if I do need to apply say a filter, edit the  lighting etc of some  stock images for example, can I still do that in Affinity Designer?

Thanks

Dean

I've expanded my previous reply a little to provide more info. There's no filters in Affinity Designer. So for advanced photo editing capabilities you will need Affinity Photo. They complement each other quite well if you need to work on both photo and design projects. You can open our native file formats (afdesign, afphoto) in any of the apps of the suite and also swap the file you are working on (will all History steps included) between the apps as you see fit without the need to save the file first, among other things.

Ah ok, I hear ya, thanks for your super helpful response @MEB that has certainly helped me to make an informed decision about what to purchase to suit my professional needs.

Sounds like AD will be enough for me to get by as a Web Designer, but if in the future I do find I need more powerful image editing capabilities I can always purchase AP at a later date :)