You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fine tuning hue of selected color range

Hi!

I am in the process of creating a new workflow for my portrait photography, using Affinity on iPad Pro, instead of PS on Macbook Pro. 

There is one of my PS procedures, for which I just can’t seem to find a substitute in Affinity. 

In PS I use the Color Adjustment layer, to shift a range of e.g. reds towards orange, and thus fix problematic red skin tones. 

The thing is, that you can use two sliders to finely tune the exact range of reds that you want to affect.

Is there any way I can achieve the same in Affinity?  (Using e.g. the whole RED channel is way to coarse.)

Thanks

Under Colour adjustments, the Colour balance filter allows you to select shadow, midtones or highlights, then adjust colours for  each of these ranges independently. Is that what you are trying to achieve?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

No, unfortunately not what I am looking for.  

Attached is an example of the Photoshop adjustment layer:

Reds are selected, but the crux is the four sliders at the bottom. They set the affected color range AND the width of the transitions. 

The procedure for e.g. fixing red skin is this: First you drag the hue slider all the way to one side, so all reds turn green. (This will be the whole face). Then you drag the sliders to diminish the range, untill only the problematic skin zones are green. Then you drag the hue back to zero and towards orange untill a pleasing tone is achieved. 

This works fantasticly well, and I do believe it is the prefered way to tune skin tones in the “industry”. If Affinity Photo could do this as well, it would be a huge deal for many. 

E5C0A017-ED86-4D2A-AE57-4347E4D85B4E.jpeg

The HSL filter is closest to what you are seeking but doesn't have all the individual sliders, so may not achieve the end result. You can certainly get the face to turn green by adjusting the hue wheel but the bottom slider is missing. You may need to combine 2 filters. If it’s not there, it might be worth posting a request in the 'features' thread to have it combined with the HSL filter.

3DFD04D6-0677-412B-951B-E36CA5CBB18C.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi LarsDaniel,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no direct/equivalent feature in Affinity Photo as you discovered. I do agree this would be a great improvement.

I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section as it has more chances to be picked there.

Thanks for your feedback.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi LarsDaniel,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no direct/equivalent feature in Affinity Photo as you discovered. I do agree this would be a great improvement.

I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section as it has more chances to be picked there.

Thanks for your feedback.

Super. I am crossing my fingers. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, and Serif's moderator MEB.

Firstly I'd like to reiterate the need for selective colour control w/fine tuning capabilities.

Secondly, my suggestion is further to PS's capability in this sphere, namely: the tools to mask a selective range (eg the yellows/oranges of sunflowers) using a colour picker & range slider (to widen or narrow the colour mask's selection range); and, thereafter, fine tune (say) yellows etc by affecting their complimentary colours (eg blues etc), via desaturation of the highlights&midtones - but only within the selected colour range mask - using (crucially) curves, as well as optional sliders, to effect this example of full tonal control.

The mask allows other yellows/oranges in the photo to be masked/brushed out, and so left unaffected by the adjustments.

I should note I've been taught how to do this on PS, and have been looking to achieve the same with A4iPad - which lead me to this feature request.

kindest regards... M

• 5 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 8:32 PM, BeardLAM said:

Secondly, my suggestion is further to PS's capability in this sphere, namely: the tools to mask a selective range (eg the yellows/oranges of sunflowers) using a colour picker & range slider (to widen or narrow the colour mask's selection range); and, thereafter, fine tune (say) yellows etc by affecting their complimentary colours (eg blues etc), via desaturation of the highlights&midtones - but only within the selected colour range mask - using (crucially) curves, as well as optional sliders, to effect this example of full tonal control.

That would be extremely valuable option, use this approach very often in PS 

• 4 months later...
On 11/20/2018 at 4:38 PM, Aammppaa said:

HSL filter has been rewritten for 1.7 - have you checked out the beta?

Has a colour picker and allows you to change the width of the affected range.

Current beta does not have this functionality. Look forward to testing out with 1.7, I guess.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order