You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing with Aspect Ratio

Why is it that when I'm resizing a single selected photo/layer/item, pressing shift/using the diagonal points allows for resizing with aspect ratio but having a group of layers/photos selected does not allow me to scale them in ratio, regardless of which point I'm using and if I'm pressing shift or not?

Also, when using the transform studio, the resizing never does it in ratio regardless of whether I have the lock ticked or not?? Please enlighten me. This is a massive pain and it's really putting me off using this app. Thank you.

I am having exactly the same issue on the iPad.  It doesn’t matter if the aspect ratio lock is active or not.  When using the rotary controls to adjust height or width ONLY adjusts height or width; they do not adjust together.  And I just looked through the help files to see if I’m doing something wrong, but apparently I’m not; it’s just not working.

Affinity Photo is a remarkably powerful app, but something like maintaining aspect ratio when transforming images is critically important.  Any idea how long it’ll take for a fix?

Edited to add:  I’m on an iPad Pro 12.9” first gen using the most recent update of Affinity.

Edited by Sfdex
To add additional information.

• Staff

Hi Plasticine,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

By default Affinity Photo keeps the ratio of all objects that possess an intrinsic aspect ratio intact - like images and text - where most of the times you don't want to distort them. So if you select a single image layer the ratio will be kept. If you select multiple layers, it will behave as if it was a group of objects and so doesn't keep the aspect ratio. You can control this behaviour going to Affinity Photo Preferences (tap the cog icon on the top right of the Welcome Screen, tap the Tools button/section on top, then pick the behaviour you want from the last dropdown (Move tool aspect constrain). Automatic is the default behaviour and acts like i described above.

• Staff

Hi Sfdex,

If you are using the lock icon in the Transform Studio and its controls to resize layers/objects this is a know bug that was already fixed in the latest Beta. The fix will be included in the next retail update. If you use the bounding box controls on canvas to resize the objects/layers it will will as i described in my previous reply above.

On 10/01/2018 at 9:39 AM, Plasticine said:

Hi, yes I am referring to the iPad version which is why I posted in iPad questions - thank you :)

Many users post in the wrong section (although it’s usually the other way around, posting iPad questions in the main forum instead of the iPad subforum). Given that you mentioned pressing Shift and most iPads don’t have a Shift key, @DM1’s question seems quite a reasonable one. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Sfdex,

If you are using the lock icon in the Transform Studio and its controls to resize layers/objects this is a know bug that was already fixed in the latest Beta. The fix will be included in the next retail update. If you use the bounding box controls on canvas to resize the objects/layers it will will as i described in my previous reply above.

Hi, MEB —

Yes, this is my issue.  I’m using a stack of apps (as often is the case when working in iOS) to get where I need to go; I create an image in a 3D app as a reference for creating a pixel-art sprite sheet, but the 3D app is such that I have to create the image quite small in the frame, otherwise I’m dealing with perspective issues.  So, I copy/paste the screen cap from the 3D image into a 400 px square image in Affinity and then have to move and scale the layer around to precisely fit the layout.  Having to use the control handles on the layer is problematic because the screen caps are 2048x2732, so the handles are way outside of the 400px canvas.  Using the rotary controls in the transform studio will make my life so much easier!

Thanks for the responses!

- Dex

19 hours ago, Alfred said:

Many users post in the wrong section (although it’s usually the other way around, posting iPad questions in the main forum instead of the iPad subforum). Given that you mentioned pressing Shift and most iPads don’t have a Shift key, @DM1’s question seems quite a reasonable one. ;)

Sorry - I should have specified that I have a smart keyboard. :)

Anyway, I have just gone through my settings and set move tool aspect constrain to always constrain. I looked all throughout the interface in the app to find this setting earlier on, but never realized there was even a cog/settings icon in the welcome screen.

Coming from Photoshop, this app is such a huge adjustment - there are so many unintuitive things that really get frustrating on top of all the random crashing which causes me to lose my work! I have faith that it will get better with updates, but I just wished it was slightly more intuitive. 

Thank you for your responses!

• 3 years later...
On 1/14/2018 at 5:34 AM, MEB said:

Hi Plasticine,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

By default Affinity Photo keeps the ratio of all objects that possess an intrinsic aspect ratio intact - like images and text - where most of the times you don't want to distort them. So if you select a single image layer the ratio will be kept. If you select multiple layers, it will behave as if it was a group of objects and so doesn't keep the aspect ratio. You can control this behaviour going to Affinity Photo Preferences (tap the cog icon on the top right of the Welcome Screen, tap the Tools button/section on top, then pick the behaviour you want from the last dropdown (Move tool aspect constrain). Automatic is the default behaviour and acts like i described above.

When you do this, is there a way to have it scale strokes at the same time like Illustrator can?

1 hour ago, Macwellsart said:

When you do this, is there a way to have it scale strokes at the same time like Illustrator can?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Macwellsart. :)

There is a ‘Scale with object’ toggle under the advanced options in the Stroke Studio in Affinity Designer, but Affinity Photo doesn’t have a Stroke Studio.

Alfred spacer.png

• 9 months later...
23 minutes ago, Josie said:

I want to know if I can make the phot not look so stretched using my iPad in AD?

Are you the one who stretched it (and want to avoid doing that on the future), or did you receive it this way and want to make it look better?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you the one who stretched it (and want to avoid doing that on the future), …

If you choose the Move Tool and drag on a corner adjustment handle the current aspect ratio will be maintained.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

… or did you receive it this way and want to make it look better?

If you drag on a side handle (or the central top or bottom handle) the aspect ratio will be freely adjustable.

Alfred spacer.png

If you open or import the image it will keep its original aspect ratio. It will also maintain its aspect ratio if you use the ‘Place’ command, regardless of whether you drag (to place it at a new size) or simply tap (to place it at its original size). It will only get distorted if you resize it via the side handles or change one dimension via the Transform Studio.

Alfred spacer.png

If the canvas is square but the original image is not, there’s no way to stretch the image to fill the canvas without making the image distorted. If you absolutely must have a square canvas, you need to find a pattern or something to fill the blank bits.

079B80D6-9323-467F-83BD-2F46FD70E286.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

@Alfred  Ah ha!  Do I spot one of my Swirls styles?   (Old career as a sleuth, nosing it under the stairs.  "Hamlet.")  Honored.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

35 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Ah ha!  Do I spot one of my Swirls styles?

So that’s where I got them from, Jennifer! Thanks (again, I hope) for your splendid work. I felt the colours were just perfect for that photo.

Alfred spacer.png