You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.6.6 on an iMac running OS X 10.12.6 and have a question about creating crop presets.  I've created some which I thought were constrained, but when I use them the crops are not constrained.  I can't delete these presets either.    I'm pretty sure I was able to create some presets that actually were constrained, and these I could delete.  I've tried re-launching Affinity Photo with the control key pressed to clear the crop presets, but these un-constrained presets remain.  I'm not sure what I might have done to create these presets that are not constrained and I would like to delete them if possible.  How can insure my presets will be constrained when I create them, and how can get I delete these unconstrained presets.

Thanks!!

Ed

• Staff

Hi Elfritzen,

The only crop presets you shouldn't be able to delete are the 1st 4 that are listed (unconstrained, Original Ratio, Custom Ratio and Absolute Dimensions).  The others you should be able to delete by selecting the crop from the drop down and then going back to the drop down and selecting Delete Preset.  When creating a preset, if you select Absolute Ratio that crop preset will be constrained to the ratio you've set.  

On 1/4/2018 at 8:12 PM, elfritzen said:

I've created some which I thought were constrained, but when I use them the crops are not constrained.

If you create a preset for a ratio the crop is constrained to any dimensions with that ratio of width to height. You can tell if a preset you have created is constraining to a ratio by checking the "Units:" field in the Context toolbar. If it is greyed out, then that preset constrains to a ratio.

So for example, a preset for a ratio of 4 units wide by 5 units high (4:5) allows cropping to 400 px wide by 500 px high, 404 px wide by 505 px high, or any other dimensions where the height dimension is 1.25 times the width dimension. Note that because of this, a 4:5 ratio preset is different from a 5:4 one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for the replies.  I think I have a little better understanding of setting crop presets.  I do know about deleting presets and have tried to delete some presets that I have created as suggested by stokerg, but it doesn’t work for some of the presets.  It does work for other presets that I have created.  I’m not sure what I might have done differently to create presets that in some cases can be deleted and some cases can’t be deleted.  I’ll have to go back and look at this a little more carefully.  Thanks for the advice.

Ed

Ok, I figured out how to delete the presets.  I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing differently than previously, but I have created new crop presets, and have been able to delete them.  One thing I finally realized is if you set the crop mode to "absolute dimensions",  it creates a crop size exactly the size you enter, either in pixels or inches.  However, this crop is not constrained and can be resized by dragging the handles.  I originally thought this too would be constrained.  I think I understand this now.  Thanks again for the insights. 

Ed

• 1 month later...

The closest ratio for A4 is 3:2. So I would like to add a crop preset for this ratio to constrain the grid when I resize it. Could you please give a step by step procedure to set up a preset for a ratio, as I can't see how to do it?

I am using Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 on Windows 10.

Thanks

2 hours ago, norfolkcoaster said:

The closest ratio for A4 is 3:2. So I would like to add a crop preset for this ratio to constrain the grid when I resize it. Could you please give a step by step procedure to set up a preset for a ratio, as I can't see how to do it?

The exact ratio for A4 is 297 x 210

In the Mode menu select Custom Ratio and enter 210 x 297 (portrait) or 297 x 210 (landscape) in the size entry boxes.

297210.jpg.fc811a1a7c8bb58a8b8e0be0ec8e8537.jpg

Back in the Mode menu, select Add Preset

add.jpg.a4c63e55d02d342440328e53bc438b42.jpg

It will prompt you to save it (Add Crop Preset). Save it as A4 (or whatever you want).

preset.jpg.bb51d0285aac2e91178d8a8ae0b76d7c.jpg

It will appear in the Preset as A4. Just select it from the dropdown menu when you want it.

A4.jpg.c5579ea7e44123a693ba05f5914281f4.jpg

You can rotate it if you want a landscape A4 crop,

rotate.jpg.a7f52d5662e4fb1fe89cc747fccde045.jpg

or you could create another preset as landscape

p.s. if you really want 3:2 enter 3 and 2 in the entry boxes and follow the same steps.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.