You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Collapse Layer Group (layers panel)

Is there a way to Collapse EVERYTHING inside a Group (subGroups, subsubGroups, etc) by clicking the arrow on the parent Group in the Layers panel?

In Photoshop, you can Option+LMB click it and everything collapses, so when you re-open the Group in the Layers panel it's all collapsed.

If this doesn't exist in any form, please consider this a feature request.

Thanks!

You cannot expand everything at once, no. However, with Auto-scroll enabled, clicking on a grouped or nested object will automatically expand the group or layer it is in all the way down to that point of the tree. To select a grouped object, hold Ctrl for Windows or Cmd for Mac. And the Auto-scroll option is in the hamburger menu of the Layers studio.

5a4ee33c7c789_ScreenShot2018-01-04at9_28_30PM.png.d5c680a683c18e73e564330ad56281e6.png

Edited by Bri-Toon
Wrong information

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Doesn't right clicking on the parent group and selecting Collapse Selection not do what you want?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

11 hours ago, aekorps said:

Collapse everything is what I’m looking for, maybe you didn’t see that. Don’t Need to expand everything, I need to collapse everything at once to keep the layers clean and easy to work with.

Sorry about that. I hate it when I give the wrong information, and it seems I do that a lot here. Even though you said collapse, I was thinking expanding. Either way, I didn't realize that both options are available in the right click menu like Carl123 pointed out. So to be of some help, I'd say click on all of the upper most parent layers (groups), right click, and chose the option Carl mentioned. (You can select that all at once if you select the first layer, then hold shift, and then click the last one.)

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hey guys!

Strange … I just wondered about this option as well a few days ago – good to know I’m not the only one who’s missing this feature. :12_slight_smile:

Thanks carl123 for pointing this out!

It’s good to know there’s a way to expand/collapse all layers/groups/shapes/… – though maybe we can encourage the developers so
for a future update they consider adding the opt+click-on-arrow variant which some of us already know from Adobe products and even
from Finder on Mac as well, or at least the possibility to assign a shortcut. :5_smiley:

Right now it just seems a bit strange to me that you need to right-click into a dropdown menu just to find two options that could basically be one option. :15_yum:

Greetings

Dennis

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

And probably include them in that hamburger menu along with Autoscroll. I wouldn't have known that the options, expand all, collapse all, properties, and some others only exist by right click. They can be easy to miss. (For silly me, anyway).

No, I agree 100%. I actually looked there more than once before posting here. Options like this shouldn’t be hidden only on right-click. I actually wasn’t aware there was aright click menu for layers.

In addition: why is there ONLY ONE THING in that menu but like 10 things that only are available IF you know about right click?

Probably because that menu wasn't there for previous versions. It was newly added for a shortcut to the same tool that can be accessed in the Preferences. Seeing how more can be added now, it would be quite the good spot to fill in the gap.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, when working with large files containing many artboards, Affinity opens up the tree to an object but then does not close it when I'm done. What happens is the tree gets very cluttered and I have to go back and close everything individually.

This problem is solved in source code editors by having a simple automatic function.

If you select and view a file it will collapse when it loses focus. But if you edit the file it will not collapse unless you tell it to explicitly.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:45 PM, carl123 said:

Doesn't right clicking on the parent group and selecting Collapse Selection not do what you want?

Thanks for pointing this, since the french translation doesn't make sense and I didn't tried it : "Expand/Reduce selection"… I think it's the "selection" term that is misleading, "Expand/Collapse group/objects" seems better, since "selection" is related to marching ants in my mind.

• 7 months later...

Hi,
I was looking for this feature as well and I agree with @aekorps that it's too hidden. It should be in the burger menu, or even better, accessible in the layer menu (top bar).

I often work with Sketch and there is a keyboard shortcut that collapse all layers… very useful!
I would really like to have the same shortcut in Affinity, sometimes there is simply too much layers, and I waste so much time to collapse them all :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...