You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I've evaluating Affinity to work with the raw files from my Canon 70D.

For a test I started from a very underexposed picture.

With Affinity I followed the lineguides from this tutorial:

https://vimeo.com/channels/affinityphoto/202715178

but the best I can get is a quite dull image. See the second attachment.

On the other had I see that with a few settings in LightRoom, the software I'd like

to leave, I'm albe to achieve better results. See the third image.

I'm wondering: I'm missing any step, settings or configuration in order

to improve my raw editing with Affinity?

I've tried Apple raw engine and Serif but the results are similar.

TIA.

starting_raw.png

affinity_recovery.png

LightRoom_recovery.png

• Staff

Hi Pgsmn and Welcome to the Forums,

You might like to try this again in the latest Beta for Affinity, which you can download from here for Mac or here for Windows.  The current Beta has an improved Shadows & Highlights algorithm, i wonder if that would help give a better base to start from for the rest of the recovery.

The Beta installs alongside the release version so no need to uninstall anything.

thank you for you support.

Nice to know that a BETA has improvements for the Shadows & Highlights.

The problem is that this BETA is only available for customers with the final product.

At the moment I'm using the evaluation version.... 

in order to evaluate :)

1 hour ago, pgsmn said:

The problem is that this BETA is only available for customers with the final product.

At the moment I'm using the evaluation version....

If you upload the original image I'm sure some kind soul with the beta will be able to "process" it for you to show you what you can expect from Affinity

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi there,

I'm uploading an image section in TIFF format because the 20MPX original raw is not allowed

by the forum because of its size.

thank you. :D

Edited by pgsmn
choosing a better image area

I've done some other tests.

Here how the histogram looks playing with LR.

(pixel more diffuse all over all the spectrum).

hence more color

On the other and on Affinity it still look dull

because the pixels lies on the dark/shadows region.

LR Spectrum.png

AFF Spectrum.png

Mac OSX. I did just set white and black points, fiddled with gamma using brightness, shadows & highlights and tones>curves (gamma tools doing more or less the same effect). White balance is default (not as yellow as yours).

Good evening.

I think the problem is that the settings are set at shooting.

You can photograph a landscape at 1:250e (sufficient) would have reduced the iso sensitivity.

You can also shift the exposure to + o. 5 EV and correct in post-processing.

All of this would have generated less noise. I think so.

5a4ff6797d4bb_VMilllaudJPG.JPG.6856d5960281e463304bcad5a12f6220.JPG

f11 would have facilitated the depth of field. (may even be hyperfocal).

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Of course it always helps editing when photo is exposed right.

...and the beauty of digital media is you can play with those settings to your hearts content, you can expose for the sky, expose for the land and merge the two, bracket wildly for a bit of HDR, it really is a free for all for photography. You just have to be ruthless with images that are just not good enough and retake them on a better day if possible. if its a one time visit then you owe it to yourself and your wallet to make the most of the opportunity you have in front of you.

I personally think this image would work better cropped and made into a gritty black and white.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hello, pgsmn.

The Canon eos70D is an excellent case, it has an advanced noise reduction function.

You can also take three or four consecutive shots and stack them up to compensate for the noise.

Another solution: Make two images.

One, exposed for the sky and one, exposed for the foreground.

Combine the two.

The idea of the first defence,"cropped up and made in a gravelly black-and-white", is interesting.

Yours sincerely. 

• Staff

Let me see if i can get the attention of @James Ritson (hope you don't mind James) as i'm sure he will be able to offer some answers to the points raised in this thread, as well as some pointers on developing this image.  We may need to get a copy of the actual RAW file and i can setup a dropbox link for that when i'm back in the office on Monday.

@Wikinger

This is the kind of thing I mean, sometimes there are images within images. I'm sure with more work @pgsmn could improve on this quickie example. I like the small glint of light just before the bridge disappears, it draws the eye across the image.

gritty.jpg.9a8a1518ad084d58ff3e21be7da32162.jpg

gritty.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Je suis d'accord avec vous  "première défense."

Si une photo couleur est perdue, le noir et blanc peut enregistrer l'image.

Votre version est intéressante mais travailler avec un petit Jpeg n'est jamais concluant.

Donc, oui "stokerg", un lien vers un RAW est nécessaire.

Merci de votre collaboration.

Hi all,

a few answers:

@v_kyr => Yes, it's the Viaduc de Millau :) 

@Wikinger => I know the picture settings are awful, but the shot was not planned.

I was driving when I saw the sun among the clouds and I tried to get the picture,

So, after parking the car in a hurry, I got the camera to get the scene

but I realized later the setting were not the best.

@stokerg => the original RAW is available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8rvfdaz3c9dpxi/_MG_2853.CR2?dl=0

Regards.

12 hours ago, pgsmn said:

.........Je sais que les réglages de l'image sont horribles, mais le tir n'a pas été planifié.........

Bonjour.

Vous êtes en mesure "SPOT" et, je pense que c'est une bonne méthode pour des images contrastées.

Intéressant pour ce sujet, il prend un caractère dramatique.