You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping - move crop box but only vertically

I have a photo that I'm cropping to a 6:2 ratio which is fine. However when I move the crop tool vertically I can't figure out how to constrain it so it only moves vertically and not horizontally. I would expect holding shift while dragging would restrict movement to one direction only.

What happens is that I move it vertically to where I want but inevitably I have shifted 1-2 pixels to the side and now have an white bar on the side after cropping.

How can I do what I want?

• Staff

Hi createsean,

If you set the crop mode to Custom (or Original) Ratio then the crop tool/area will always keep that proportion. If you move the top center handle vertically to increase the height of the cropped area, the width must also increase to keep the ratio you have specified otherwise you aren't able to keep the ratio.

So assuming you don't want to keep it set the mode to custom ratio (6:2) and position the crop frame as you wish first then change the Mode to Unconstrained and move the top center control handle upwards.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Am i missing something here?

I believe createsean wants to reposition the actual crop box, constraining it's movement to vertical only. Like shift dragging a rectangle.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

13 minutes ago, toltec said:

I believe createsean wants to reposition the actual crop box, constraining it's movement to vertical only. Like shift dragging a rectangle.

Yes that exactly. 

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Ah, i see. Thanks toltec :) 

Currently it's not possible to constrain the movement of the crop frame.

Well that's unfortunate. Consider this a feature request. Hope to see it in the next build.

Just now, MEB said:

Sorry for not being of much help createsean.

Thread moved to the Feature Requests section.

Helpful in that I got an answer. So all good.

And for the feature request the constraining the movement should work vertically and horizontally. So if I move the crop box horizontally shift + click/drag restricts vertical movement.

Not sure how to describe this but here goes..

If you set the ratio to 6:2 where the 6 part equals the full width of the image then if you set snapping on and have Snap to spread selected in the snapping then you can quite easily move the crop up and down whilst the vertical edges remain snapped to the spread and still retaining the 6:2 ratio.

PS The crop will also snap to vertical guides but not much use when in crop as you would have to have added them before activating the crop function

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

59 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Not sure how to describe this but here goes..

If you set the ratio to 6:2 where the 6 part equals the full width of the image then if you set snapping on and have Snap to spread selected in the snapping then you can quite easily move the crop up and down whilst the vertical edges remain snapped to the spread and still retaining the 6:2 ratio.

PS The crop will also snap to vertical guides but not much use when in crop as you would have to have added them before activating the crop function

Where do you turn on snapping?

10 hours ago, createsean said:

Where do you turn on snapping?

See attached...

the vertical sides of the grid will now snap to the vertical edges of the image making grabbing the centre of the grid and moving it (just) up or down a lot easier.

Note: Increasing the Screen Tolerance value will make the snapping more powerful (the blue arrow in my screenshot)

snapping2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Here is my take but also it's kind of dull...

• Create a rectangle that has the aspect ratio you want and place it over the area you want to crop. This rectangle will have the snapping and draggin options you want. Also, you can change it's opacity.

Crop1.png

• The, use the Crop Tool tand use the rectangle as a guide.

Crop2.png

Crop3.png

• Finally, apply the cropping and there you have it.

Crop4.png

Hope this helps.

Best regards!

• 7 months later...

I just came across this problem I'm trying to crop my camera photos so they are full screen on my computer screen I set the exact size for HD  then  it messes up if I move the crop box. Hope they add  vertical only key  soon or a crop box that doesn't wonder off the edges of the picture.

If you know where you want one of the edges of the crop to be, then before you start cropping you can drag a guide to that location. Then use the crop tool to create the crop box, position it to that guide, and with snapping enabled it will snap to that guide line while you drag it up and down. (Alternatively, the crop box will also snap to an edge of the picture, so you don't need a guide in that case.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1