You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mask Panel hidden somewere ?

Hi guys,

This is my first post. First of all, please excuse my English. French is my native language.

Here's the problem I'm facing : I created a mask by selecting part of an image and then used the "Refine edge" dialog. I then choose to create a new layer with it's mask as the output of the refine edge dialog.

Once the layer and mask created, I selected the mask and tried to invert it. I never found a way to do this. I'm used to photoshop, so I tried Cmd-I... right-click and so on. I couldn't find a way to achieve this simple task. I then searched the help and found a topic about a "Mask Panel". I searched everywhere but never found such panel.

What am I missing ?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

This is my first post. First of all, please excuse my English. French is my native language.

Here's the problem I'm facing : I created a mask by selecting part of an image and then used the "Refine edge" dialog. I then choose to create a new layer with it's mask as the output of the refine edge dialog.

Once the layer and mask created, I selected the mask and tried to invert it. I never found a way to do this. I'm used to photoshop, so I tried Cmd-I... right-click and so on. I couldn't find a way to achieve this simple task. I then searched the help and found a topic about a "Mask Panel". I searched everywhere but never found such panel.

What am I missing ?

Thanks.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post, but why do you not reverse the selection before you create the mask rather than after?

You can do that easily enough with Select -> Invert Pixel Selection and that is what I do.

If I am misunderstanding your question, my apologies.

Hey Mike,

Nice to see you 'round these parts, too...we seem to be chasing down many of the same tools lately! :)

Like you, I invert my selection/refine edge/etc all before creating the mask. That said, though, it would be nice to have a convenient way to invert a mask after the fact. IMO, the whole masking concept in Affinity Photo needs some work. Creating a masked adjustment layer from a selection, for example, is straightforward and pretty much how I expect it to work. However, creating a pixel-based layer with adjustments and/or filters/etc applied to it, and then masking as needed is not intuitive. I hope this is an area that the developers eventually refine.

Best regards,

AlanH

I'm a photoshop user as well and to be honest I hoped Affinity would be be a bit more intuitive compared to Adobe but I might need to dig in the help files a bit more to get a grip on it. Creating a mask and painting doesn't seem to work and doesn't let you see a miniature of the mask being created with shades and so to give you an idea about the amount of opacity used. Addressing a mask to a layer or a group isn't even intuitive to my liking for now. I'm guilty in inverting masks as well from time to time...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.