You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The windows store verions are fresh out of the box, it does not happen in these versions.

It only happens with the serif downloaded versions, wit a lot of brushes added.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

How many is "a lot"? In the Pixel Persona in the desktop version of Affinity Designer 1.6, I currently have five brush categories from Frankentoon, four from DAUB, and fifteen from Kyle T. Webster.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@R C-R : I'm running Win7 Pro, not Win10... so the Win10 thing doesn't seem to be an exclusive factor.  So far, there doesn't appear to be a consistant element common among all those seeing the issue (other than perhaps it doesn't SEEM to be happening on Macs).

I've posted in the bug section.

well i have: daub bristles, dry media, gouaches, inks, markers, watercolors.

frankentoon texturizer A-B and C

organics pack 1-10

texture brush pack 1-18

daub balckbox , asper, calamus, moire

anthony grass

fur pack 37-38-39

daub vectorset 1 and 2

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Hey, does AD and AP alert you when a new update is available?  I'm running 1.6.1.93, and I'm told there's a 1.6.2 (which I now finally found), but my programs didn't alert me.  Might be a security thing.

Also, is there no 'check for updates' button in AD/AP?

57 minutes ago, Alfred said:

How many is "a lot"? In the Pixel Persona in the desktop version of Affinity Designer 1.6, I currently have five brush categories from Frankentoon, four from DAUB, and fifteen from Kyle T. Webster.

40 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

well i have: daub bristles, dry media, gouaches, inks, markers, watercolors.

frankentoon texturizer A-B and C

organics pack 1-10

texture brush pack 1-18

daub balckbox , asper, calamus, moire

anthony grass

fur pack 37-38-39

daub vectorset 1 and 2

I've now installed a further ten sets of DAUB brushes, and I'm still not having a problem switching between brushes with either my trackball or my touchpad. I don't currently have any of @Stuart_R's fur, organics or texture brush packs installed, so I suppose that's the next thing to try!

Alfred spacer.png

17 minutes ago, ladlon said:

Hey, does AD and AP alert you when a new update is available?  I'm running 1.6.1.93, and I'm told there's a 1.6.2 (which I now finally found), but my programs didn't alert me.  Might be a security thing.

Also, is there no 'check for updates' button in AD/AP?

There's a note somewhere (from @Patrick Connor) about version 1.6.2. Essentially it's a very minor update, which is why it isn't offered automatically if you already have version 1.6.1.

Both AD and APh will check for updates if you're online when you launch them.

Alfred spacer.png

@Alfred : Thanks for all the testing/updates.  I'm not sure how you are testing this, but one quick/easy way is to just do a stroke, select it with the node (white arrow) tool, and then repeatedly click between brushes in the brush list (preferably two that are visibly different, like a regular stroke and the chain brush, so you can see if they change, even through periferal vision).  Note too that you'll also see that the brush settings values do not change when it 'fails'.  You may need to clck MANY times before you run into the issue, as it's kind of random (sometimes it's rare, sometimes it's VERY frequent....at least for me).

And thanks for the response about the updates.  I downloaded 1.6.2, and will install it.  But, ya, I figured it probably won't resolve this.

12 minutes ago, ladlon said:

I'm not sure how you are testing this, but one quick/easy way is to just do a stroke, select it with the node (white arrow) tool, and then repeatedly click between brushes in the brush list

Oh, OK. I was mainly responding to @dutchshader's observations, where the brushes in question are all raster brushes and there is therefore no selectable stroke. I was simply selecting a different brush from the Brushes panel, expecting my next stroke to (sometimes) be drawn with the previously selected brush instead of the currently selected one, but this never happened.

Alfred spacer.png

@Alfred : For sure... Ya, it's happening with both premade strokes (selecting it and then selecting a new brush that then updates the existing stroke), as well as doing new strokes (raster or vector).  I'm just saying that the method I mentioned (obviously using vector strokes, since raster ones wouldn't update) is a really quick/easy way to test it (rather than the 'draw a stroke, select new brush, draw a stroke, etc' method).  Just faster and easier, since you may have to do it many times before running into the issue.  I suspect some people simply haven't run into the issue out of luck, rather than it not being present on their version.

13 minutes ago, ladlon said:

I suspect some people simply haven't run into the issue out of luck, rather than it not being present on their version.

I suspect you may well be right! I'll keep a lookout for the problem happening here, and I'll post back if it does. :)

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 years later...

@ladlon: I have the exact same probem when  selecting a different brush on AP, it just doest select any other brush and stay at the current one, I think is is because of my old mac, because when I clean my memory with MacKeeper, it comes back to normal. 
Have you find an other way to help this problem?