You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

@R C-R

It is not only the vector brush, also the brushes in pixel persona. And the brushes in photo.

I am not having any problems with those brushes either. Painting with the Paint Brush Tool always uses the selected brush for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Are you switching with a mouse or a tablet, it looks like the problem is only there when switching with tablet.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Same behaviour here in both apps, most of the time it works fine but sometimes, maybe in some 5-10%, the brush stroke does not change to the currently selected brush type. AD and AP 1.6.2.97, Windows 8.1

Looks like a very hard to find bug...

Edit: Used my laptop's touchpad to test the behaviour.

Edited by Imaginary

Hello again...

@dutchshader : I'm seeing it with both tablet and mouse, but more frequently with the tablet.  As Imaginary mentioned, about maybe 10% of the time... so, I'm sure a lot of people just haven't run into it.  But, if I do my test, where I'm continually clicking on various brushes in the brush list, it will eventually fail (brush in list hilights, but the brush itself doesn't get changed... the settings stay the same as the last brush, and the resulting stroke is that of the style of the last brush.

@Imaginary : Hi!  Welcome to the discussion.  Ya, it appears to be something that happens about 10% of the time (roughly speaking).. so many people may not have seen it, just out of luck/odds.  I haven't verified if I have it in both apps (although I do think I saw it in both).

@R C-R : I'm seeing the issue currently with the vector brush in the vector persona.  I haven't formally validated the other persona or apps.  I see it both when I am selecting a new brush (different than the current) and paint a stroke (stroke is not the correct style, but the style of the last brush), as well as when I select an existing stroke, and select a different brush.  Again, about 10% of the time, roughly speaking, so you have to do it several times before it may show up, if it does.  It appears the issue may be rooted in the brush list itself... in that clicking on a different brush doesn't always change the brush (even though the hilight seems to always update without fail).

I installed the UI bonus pack, the macro pack, and recently the Daub Blackbox pack... and I only noticed the issue after the Blackbox one, although I can't say for sure it wasn't present before that.

I don't have the Kraken brushes (...never even heard of them.  I got to look for those!)

As I mentioned to R C-R, it appears the issue may be rooted in the brush list itself... in that clicking on a different brush doesn't always change the brush (even though the hilight seems to always update without fail).... at least that's what it seems to me.

I know that a few days ago, I was trying to do some painting, and it was just insane how often it was not switching... like 80% of the time!  Today, it's back to the 10% range.

Here's a snippet of the video I shot of the issue, just so you can see it in action.

AffinityDesigner_BrushSwitchIssue_Snippet.mp4

Note, this isn't specific to the chain or rope brush... I'm just using those as easily distinguishable stroke samples.

ALSO: I have just confirmed that I am getting the same issue in Affinity Photo as well.

I just tested this behavior on an Imac, using version 1.6.0 of Designer and a mouse.  I did not try this test with Photo.

I switched back and forth between the Draw and Pixel personas, using the appropriate tool for each persona. I switched brushes and brush sets several times. Each time I changed the brush, the image I got was correct and corresponded with the brush image. Several of the brushes I included in my test were the Daub Blackbox brushes.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Don't what changed, but now it allmost impossible to switch to another brush.

Happens both in designer and photo.

Razer Tartarus Chroma

@dutchshader :  What, so for you it suddenly got really bad?  Weird, if that's the case!  Ya, kind of the same for me...  When I first got Designer (August 2017) and Photo (December 2017), I'm almost positive it was working perfectly (or the failure rate was so infrequent, I never ran into it).  Now, ya, I can run into a failed brush change in a few clicks.  As you probably saw in the video I posted, it literally happened on the first click.  Sometimes, it's really bad (frequent), other times, it seems okay.  I still haven't found any obvious trigger or condition that causes it.  I'm not sure if I changed anything, or added some content (brushes) that caused it... or if it was something that just happened eventually (corrupt file?)... or if it always was 'flawed', but the odds just simply resulted in it not happening until later on (plain luck).

made a short video to show what happens, I used the vector brush tool.

The first two brush strokes are the same, even though I selected a second/different brush. The last two brushes are the same brushes I selected on the first and second brush strokes but this time they show the correct brush strokes  and are not the same, thus proving that on the first two brush strokes at the start of the video the second brush selection didn't register and the vector brush tool continued to use the first brush.

Untitled_Project.mp4

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It looks like everyone reporting this problem is using Windows. Assuming that is true, it might help to know if you are all using the same version of Windows, or if there is some third party add-on you all have installed that potentially could interfere somehow with registering mouse clicks in the apps in certain circumstances.

I have no idea what kind of Windows add-ons could do that but on the Mac side, occasionally such things have been known to cause problems with just one or a few apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I don't think it is a windows thing, it is only when selecting brushes. Selecting tools or other items is allways in one click or tick with tablet.

Razer Tartarus Chroma

I don't think it is a problem with Windows as OS but with the Windows versions of AP and AD. The mouse clicks themselves seem to be registered correctly by the apps, otherwise the highlighting of the current brush in the list wouldn't work. The following brush change doesn't reliably occur, so it looks like a problem in the communication between single app modules.

Well it might be some internal change/update problem here in the way the UI control and the underlaying data structure are used in the Win code. Meaning even the UI shows the right list entry selection the underlayed data structure still gets the previous list index number here or doesn't load the now changed and new referenced objects fast enough under certain conditions.

Did this also occured from ground up also only with the default by the app supplied brushes here, or only afterwards when a bunch of additional third party brushes had been loaded into the app?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

just tested the windows store version, with no third party brushes added.

no problem in the designer and photo store versions, so it must have something to do with the installed brushes.

Razer Tartarus Chroma

1 hour ago, Imaginary said:

I don't think it is a problem with Windows as OS but with the Windows versions of AP and AD.

Maybe, but it still could be a problem that only occurs in some but not all Windows OS versions. 

Affinity Photo 

This doesn't happen on my iMac, it does happen on the Dell Laptop which is running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063, I have no additional brushes installed nor any third-party plugins with the windows version.

The issue is very intermittent and is not very predictable other than it will happen.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Wow, when I started this thread, I thought I was the only one!  Hello to all the newcomers to this!

Ya, I'd agree, it APPEARS it might be caused by bonus content, in my case seemingly the Daum brushes (Black box), in my case.

Hopefully MEB pops up again.

I'll post in the bugs section, since this seems to have been verified by multiple users now.

31 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

it does happen on the Dell Laptop which is running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Build 15063 was the 1703 Creators Update. I don't use a mouse, but I'm not seeing a problem here with the 1709 Fall Creators Update (from six months later) although when testing with my trackball there did initially seem to be a problem switching to or from the halftone brushes in the Moiré category of the Kraken set; I think this may have been due to the driver installation not having completed, since it's working fine now. I haven't noticed any problems when using the built-in touchpad, or when selecting brushes in the Blackbox category.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, ladlon said:

Ya, I'd agree, it APPEARS it might be caused by bonus content, in my case seemingly the Daum brushes (Black box), in my case.

The comment by @firstdefence just before yours suggests it is not caused by any additional brush sets you may have installed. The comment by @Alfred suggests it may not be an issue for those using the latest Win10 update.

But without more info from each affected user there is no way to do more than that.

Affinity Photo 

Well somehow the informations on this thread here are getting now confusing and so I think they have been first to be sorted out by some exclusion procedure, in order to be helpful at all and in order to find out a cause for this behaviour.

1. People report this happens only on Windows?
  2. Does it also appear fresh out of the box without any additional installed brushes?
  3. Did it only appear after additional third party brushes have been installed?
  4. Does it appear only when using certain pointing devices?
  5. ...whatever else might be relevant here...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2