You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removal of stains in the photo

There's a couple of excellent YouTube videos on photo restoration available:-)  I kept my restorations simple and used inpainting & cloning & healing, though I reckon some more experienced users could offer better options.  My repairs were slow going but I was pretty happy with the results although the damage I repaired wasn't quite as extensive as you've got here.

Good Luck & have fun

cheers

Robyn

Repairing old photos really is a patience game, take snapshots using the Snapshots Panel (View > Studio > Snapshots) or save versions as you work through the repair that way when you make a good change you have a point to fall back on should you mess up. Before you start editing you could duplicate the layer so you keep the original layer and edit the duplicate layer, again as a fall back.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Though the stains information is still there and visable among the pixel information. - Honestly this is a very difficult to restore example since the stains are huge and partly also covering hair and faces, further this old times picture isn't very sharp and pretty blurry/washed out. As far as you would apply some sharpening etc. the stain pixel information would be again more obvious there. And a good printer will still see and print those stain pixels

So in sum up this picture would need and benefit more from a lot of manual fine tuning work and passion via the often hated and time consuming inpainting & cloning & healing tools etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 hours ago, Egorba said:

Сhanged the photo in black-and-white, and darkened the yellow and red channel. 

125.jpg

Impressive start, I sometimes think the complete removal of marks/stains on old pictures almost spoils them, after-all it's part of the history of the picture, light damage and marks add "historic charm" for want of a better phrase, to a picture. Personally I wouldn't go much further than this as it would be; in my eyes, a detriment to the charm of the picture.

It's like removing the patina of old furniture, how far do you go in restoration? 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions