You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about scaling in Designer

I'm really new to Vector Graphics as a whole. I've never used Illustrator and Affinity Designer is my first time working with Vector Graphics. So I have a question but I'm worried that I'm going to word it incorrectly. 

I thought that one of the key features of Vector Graphics is that they scale up and down without issue. However when I design some things when I scale it down it doesn't seem to keep the ratio of the line thicknesses. Going to try to word this as best as I can. So for example, I made a large vector image of a semi truck. I used 5pt for the line thickness on a few parts, and I set some parts to 3d and set them around 15pts. So when I try to reduce it to lets say 1/4 of its original size I thought that the software would keep the ratios, but it keeps those points the same so then I have to go through and change each piece separately to keep them from looking off. Like 15pts on the 3d looks fine when it's big, but it looks really balloon like when it goes down to 1/4 of the size. 

So my question is, is there an option in the software that will smartly scale down the line thickness and 3D pts and gradient effects? If not that's fine, I'm not trying to complain I just know there are things I don't fully understand about the software and am wondering if I'm missing something.

• Staff

Hi photogeek,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Select the objects that use/have a stroke then click the width button in the context toolbar and check/tick Scale with object (bottom right of the pop-up). Same thing for Layer Effects: the Layer Effects dialog has a checkbox on the bottom left to scale the effects with the object.

scale_with_object3.jpg.079d4800fd15e3a721a12cbdb230cc46.jpg

Also, if the objects are all nested under one layer, then you can just click the parent layer to select all objects underneath it.

5a4d55211b63c_ScreenShot2018-01-03at5_12_51PM.png.7df6763dae2d1591992567fc7334c280.png

Selecting through the Layers panel to select objects works towards the advantage, because if you have objects "clipped" (objects inside other objects), then those will not be scaled on resizing. The objects will scale, but not the ones inside. Selecting them through the Layers panel is some times easier than trying to select each on the canvas.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!