smth

Multiple paragraph styles selected (AD)

I just had a scenario with nothing selected in my artwork, but two paragraph styles highlighted in the Text Styles palette. Confused what this was supposed to mean, I started clicking around the styles and found that the second of the paragraph styles toggled off when selecting a *character style*. It seemed as though Affinity Designer was confused about whether it was a character or paragraph style. 

Hi smth

The highlights for character and paragraph style are always highlighted whether text is selected or not. Possibly a bit confusing, but you have have both styles on the same text. Doesn't seem like anything to worry too much about but feel free to let us know if this leads into anny issue for you

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I understand that (and agree it is a bit confusing), but don't see why:

- there would be two paragraph styles selected at once, given that this doesn't even happen when you select two differently styled paragraphs

- selecting "no [character] style" would remove one of the two selected paragraph styles

A paragraph style can also include formatting for characters, and you can set a paragraph style as a character style to apply that character formatting (and not the paragraph formatting). This can avoid the need to create the same character formatting twice, once as a paragraph style and once as a character style. I think you either need to check "Show in both panels". or else use "Apply to Characters" to get this to happen.

Yeah, I understand the concept of paragraph and character styles; I am reporting a bug here (which occurs without ever touching character styles).

The symptoms you describe sound very much as if the same style is in both the paragraph slot and the character slot. A way to check this is to look at the context toolbar and see if the two style controls are set to the same. If that's the case, then it's probably not a bug, because you are supposed to be able to apply paragraph styles as if they were character styles.

I am having the same problem. The text style panel acts strangely. I click on the different styles and the character does not change, but the justification does. Cannot remove a Character style. The only way I can get my styles to work is from the styles pulldowns in the top menu bar.

Macbook Pro 13 (Mid 2010) - Web Designer

It seems the issue of AD confusing paragraph styles and character styles might be limited to the last paragraph style in the list (not sure).