You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Total noob question I think.

I purchased yesterday some "layouts" which looked kind of cool.

The sales letter mentioned that they can be used with any software that uses "layers".

Unfortunately I have not got a clue as to how to implement them into my design which alas sits just inside my head at moment...

Any suggestion as to how to use them would be great!!!

• Staff

Hi JayPea,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I don't know what types of layouts you are referring to - are they for print, for webpages (?) - in any case Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are able to open most common files types so it's possible you are able to edit/open them in our programs. In what format(s)/file type(s) are they provided? If you provide a link to the product page we may be able to get that info from it as well...

• Staff

Hi JayPea,

Are you using Affinity Photo or Designer? You can open these files directly using the menu File ▸ Open. If you want to use/insert them on an existing document (your webpage layout) use the menu File ▸ Place instead. There's several video tutorials that may help you to get acquainted with the program. If you are using Affinity Designer check this thread: Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials. If you are using Affinity Photo check this one: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials.

For specific questions/issues you may find just keep posting here.

• Staff

Thanks for the link. Most of these files are intended to be used as overlays (in this case stars, light effects etc) - that is, layers you place over others to blend them with the image below. I've used the sample file you posted above to create an example (see attached file): first i've opened one of my images (the layer on bottom), then i've placed you image on my document going to menu File ▸ Place and selecting your file from the dialog that will open. To blend the stars of your image with mine below i've changed the Blend Mode of your image/layer (the dropdown on the top of the Layers panel) from Normal to Screen - this removes the black from the overlay (makes it transparent) leaving just the stars over my image.

overlay.afphoto