You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make layers invisible but the one clicked on

(Maybe I'm not finding it, then it is overly complicated and that's to be addressed.) But I'm missing the possibility to do such:

if you have multiple layers and all are visible you can click on the little checkbox on the right to make that one layer invisible. But sometimes you want to see only the one you are working on. Instead of clicking 100 layers invisible there could be the option (like in other pro music software for example) to alt-click (or some other modifier key) to de-view all layers but the one the click was made on.

36 minutes ago, MacBoeck said:

to alt-click (or some other modifier key) to de-view all layers but the one the click was made on.

Hello MacBoeck,

welcome to the forum.

Exactly this is possible in AP and AD. ALT + left mouse button click 'solos' the layer you clicked on. If you want to bring back on all other layers again you have to click once on any other layer.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

6 minutes ago, MacBoeck said:

That is not working for me?! Neither directly on the checkbox nor on the layer area / name. What am I doing wrong?

ALT + Click on the layer's icon at the left side :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Aha. I see, what that's doing! But: it lets me view and do something to that single layer. But what I meant is un-checking all other layers but one (for export for example). That's why I kept clicking on the checkbox with some modifier keys.

2 minutes ago, MacBoeck said:

But what I meant is un-checking all other layers but one (for export for example). That's why I kept clicking on the checkbox with some modifier keys.

I never thought of exporting a single layer from that state. It indeed does not work.

For the export you could copy the single layer (right click on it) and then 'File > New from Clipboard' to create a temporary file that you can export. It is a workaround and will not necessarily create a file of the same dimensions. But perhaps that works for you?

d.

2 minutes ago, MacBoeck said:

But because it is a workaround I thought it was worth posting here as an idea for future updates. But really - thank you anyway!

From what I see here in the forums it is never wrong to report about our various working habits. It can be a great resource for the developers to improve the programs step by step. It just takes time :)

Glad to be of help.

d.

13 hours ago, MacBoeck said:

for export for example

In Export Persona is possible create many specific export cases with one/more selected layers. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.