You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was trying to add a border to a photo using Affinity Photo by resizing the canvas.  I've done this before, following the video, but tonight got a strange result.  I had my image, with 3 adjustment layers.  Selecting "Resize canvas", I changed the units to inches and clicked the lock to unlock constraints and set the anchor point to the center.  I added an inch to document to both the width and height.  When I clicked Resize, the canvas was only extended around three sides of the image, not the whole image.  Why would this happen?   I think there is something I don't quiet understand about how layers interact with each other especially if one crops and/or resizes a document.  I solved the problem by adding layer which merged all visible layers.  Now I was able extend the canvas on all four sides.  I don't think the video does this and I know I've been able to do this, but I'm not sure what I might have done to cause this behavior on this particular document.   Thanks for any help!!

Ed

• Staff

Hi elfritzen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Crop Tool is non-destructive, which means the cropped data still remains there despite not being visible (if you go to the Crop Tool again and drag the crop bounding box you will see that you are still able to recover the cropped part). So some edits like the resize canvas operation will affect not only the visible part but also the cropped (invisible part). In this case the border you are not able to see from the Resize Canvas operation was added to hidden side of the cropped area  and so it seemed like it hasn't worked properly. To make it work correctly you must get rid of the "invisible" cropped areas before resizing the canvas. To do this right-click the layer you cropped in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. If you then resize the canvas it should work as you'd expect.

Since you ended up merging all layers you also forced a rasterisation of the layer which fixed the issue for you. But rasterising just the layer you cropped would have been enough and would allow you to keep the adjustments intact.