You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add support for Mask to Below in Macros

Hi,

In the right-click context menu on layers there is a Mask to Below which doesn't seem to be accessible from the main menu. Since the right-click menu is disabled while recording Macros, it means that this function can not be recorded in Macros, however It would be really useful.

Please add a way to run this command during Macro recording and have it recorded.

As a separate request please make it possible to assign a hotkey to the "Mask to Below" function.

• 2 weeks later...

A workaround is to use instead the Assistant panel, where you can change and setup this behavior during recording. - Though one sadly can't rearrange layers (position moving up/down etc.) in the layers panel during recording.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

......................Though one sadly can't rearrange layers (position moving up/down etc.) in the layers panel during recording.

Yes you can, use the menu commands

Arrange > Move Forward one
Arrange > Move Back one

etc

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, v_kyr said:

A workaround is to use instead the Assistant panel, where you can change and setup this behavior during recording. - Though one sadly can't rearrange layers (position moving up/down etc.) in the layers panel during recording.

I would actually like to record making a pixel layer or even a layer group into a mask, not by Rasterize to Mask, but in the same way as dragging it into the mask position. Assistant doesn't help with this. All that would be needed is a menu item in Arrange menu, same as Mask to Below. Pretty minor request in my opinion.

Well I just started to look into those macro facilities here (I'm honestly much more used to PS actions and PS/GIMP scripting) and so discover things actually more by try and error (by error meaning here Oh seems it doesn't work that way).

So the first things I've tried like rearrange by dragging&dropping layers, or place a during a later macro state made background layer copy on top etc. didn't work that usual way. Then I looked through the macro video tuts and realized that some things are only recordable when performing top menu entry selections here, or changing the behavior through that Assistant panel.

2 hours ago, shojtsy said:

I would actually like to record making a pixel layer or even a layer group into a mask, not by Rasterize to Mask, but in the same way as dragging it into the mask position. Assistant doesn't help with this. All that would be needed is a menu item in Arrange menu, same as Mask to Below. Pretty minor request in my opinion.

Yes as far as that would be actually recordable (?), it would be useful. - So far I've not found a menu entry or way which allows to position into a mask during macro recording.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

The recorder needs to allow for adding annotations to share various setting information during playback and maybe let us label each step, as it's recorded

The current method offers up a plate full of confusing unidentified sliders just as the macro playback is completed, long after some settings needed adjustment.

Please consider adding the ability to stop the playback at each adjustment panel, as it is being applied, instead of just the one the one clunky unidentified slider panel displayed at the end of replay.

If the specific action was merged during the recording process, its slider, in most cases, will no longer changed anything. Those settings were long ago merged and applied.