You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stabilizing guides measurements

An object is placed. Then when the object is moved numbers appear to let you know how far you have moved it relative to various points. However the numbers disappear too fast to process and make decisions. Is there a way to have the numbers remain until you want them to disappear or set the timing of their disappearance?

The numbers should continue to appear as long as the mouse button is held down as you move the object with the Move Tool. Is that not working for you?

Otherwise, you can do as @toltec suggested. If you are on a Mac, use the CMD key instead of the Ctrl one.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

For extremely precise positioning you might consider using the Transform panel -- numbers entered there in the x & y or h & w fields can be set to around 8 or more decimal place accuracy, or even accept expressions like 13/27 that would be impossible to enter accurately as decimal numbers. (The "Decimal Places for Unit Types" set in preferences only apply to the numbers displayed -- internally, the app will always use its maximum resolution, which is extremely high.) You can also use Guides or Grids & snapping, or just zoom in when using the mouse to very high magnification levels where a single pixel's extent is very large on the screen.

If you frequently use the arrow keys to nudge objects, you might consider changing the Nudge Distance & Modifier Nudge Distance to something less than the defaults, like say to 0.1 & 1 px respectively. When used with the Transform panel to monitor positions as you fine tune them, after dragging them to the approximate position you want, you can get very accurate positioning with minimal effort.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For extremely precise positioning you might consider using the Transform panel -- numbers entered there in the x & y or h & w fields can be set to around 8 or more decimal place accuracy, or even accept expressions like 13/27 that would be impossible to enter accurately as decimal numbers. (The "Decimal Places for Unit Types" set in preferences only apply to the numbers displayed -- internally, the app will always use its maximum resolution, which is extremely high.) You can also use Guides or Grids & snapping, or just zoom in when using the mouse to very high magnification levels where a single pixel's extent is very large on the screen.

If you frequently use the arrow keys to nudge objects, you might consider changing the Nudge Distance & Modifier Nudge Distance to something less than the defaults, like say to 0.1 & 1 px respectively. When used with the Transform panel to monitor positions as you fine tune them, after dragging them to the approximate position you want, you can get very accurate positioning with minimal effort.

Thanks. However I can't see how I can use this kind of positioning to create an equal distance between two points and have the numbers remain until I don't need them anymofre, for example. 

How would I change the Nudge Distance & Modifier Nudge Distance?

2 hours ago, Uvinnie said:

How would I change the Nudge Distance & Modifier Nudge Distance?

In Preferences > Tools.

2 hours ago, Uvinnie said:

Is there no way to keep the numbers from disappearing?

None that I know of.

Affinity Photo