You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export text to PSD as editable text

Hi,

Please, can you give us an estimate date on which the feature that will allow us to export text from Affinity to Photoshop and keep the text editable will be live? Please, I'm practically begging, I love this friggin app, and this is the only thing keeping me from working with it. PLEASE! At least an estimate!

Thank you,

Chris

Many of us would love that to be a reality, but as far as I know there is no ETA because it's really hard to achieve that (correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, not a single program outside the Adobe ecosystem can do this. Correct me if I'm wrong).

As a workaround, I use Photoshop Elements 10 to save the editable text.

Best regards!

Xara seems to export text as editable text, but Xara seems to suck in too many ways.

How do you use Photoshop Elements? I never used it :P Can it be used with Affinity? I don't need a tutorial, I just wanna know if it's possible, so I don't waste time for nothing :)

Thanks

I love Affinity, the UX is awesome, and it's so easy to use, I learned in 2 hours, and after one day I am completely comfortable in it. But this text thing is driving me crazy, I hate Photoshop with a passion, but unfortunately developers use it :( I don't know WHY, but they do.

I export from Affinity as a PSD, and the I open that file in Photoshop Elements 10 and add the text I want, the save again. I have a license I bought some years ago.

Best regards!

• 5 months later...

Hi!

Have you seen Photopea?

https://www.photopea.com/

Online app that writes PSD with editable text... 

I didn't test how precise it is, but Photoshop opens it as editable text layer.

It's developed by one man. It looks like his knowledge of PSD is great.

So maybe theres a way... Ask him or hire him... 

• 3 months later...

I'd be pleasantly surprised if AF Publisher exported text to any useful format. It's as if the developers don't get the significance of text content unless it's the no more than the length of an advertising slogan.

Lords help anyone working on text at the 11th hour when the lawyers demand an urgent change repeated in 20 places on a dozen  pages. There you are with no internal text editor and no way to get the text into a competent wordprocessor. Bleah!

Anyone got an answer?

14 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if AF Publisher exported text to any useful format. It's as if the developers don't get the significance of text content unless it's the no more than the length of an advertising slogan.

Lords help anyone working on text at the 11th hour when the lawyers demand an urgent change repeated in 20 places on a dozen  pages. There you are with no internal text editor and no way to get the text into a competent wordprocessor. Bleah!

Anyone got an answer?

Publisher has a perfectly usable text editor for changes like that, and the Find and Replace panel (via View > Studio or Text > Find...) would make those changes easily. Just open your .afpub file, make the changes, and re-export.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

What do you mean by "just open your .afpub file?" Isn't that what I do every time I start AP?

What I meant was that the text editor in Publisher is perfectly capable of handling changes "at the 11th hour when the lawyers demand an urgent change repeated in 20 places on a dozen  pages." However, you'll need to do that using your source (.afpub) file not an export versioin (PSD, PDF).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I think we may be at cross purposes. I am used to using a DTP programme - the first Serif ever produced - which has an integral "word processor" that allows you to view and edit a given text "story" across all the frames in which it may be displayed as a single document. It seems that the authors have decided this is inappropriate for Affinity Publisher and so they have omitted such a  feature.

This may seem satisfactory to the layout artists who don't originate and/or edit their content, but I am quite certain it will be a disaster for most other users. This combined with the inability even to import Word.docx files seems actively perverse. I have no idea what advantage is meant to be conveyed by leaving out this facility, so I wait with baited breath for some rationale.

36 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

I think we may be at cross purposes. I am used to using a DTP programme - the first Serif ever produced - which has an integral "word processor" that allows you to view and edit a given text "story" across all the frames in which it may be displayed as a single document. It seems that the authors have decided this is inappropriate for Affinity Publisher and so they have omitted such a  feature.

This may seem satisfactory to the layout artists who don't originate and/or edit their content, but I am quite certain it will be a disaster for most other users. This combined with the inability even to import Word.docx files seems actively perverse. I have no idea what advantage is meant to be conveyed by leaving out this facility, so I wait with baited breath for some rationale.

Perhaps we are.

But still, in my opinion the functions currently provided in Publisher are sufficient to perform the task that you mentioned in the post that I responded to. You made it sound like  there is no editor at all and using Publisher is a hopeless task, and I took exception to that :)

-- Walt
PC:

Personally I feel (and even have experience) that exporting to Word with a purpose to let authors edit a story while designing is on is a disaster. Maybe if text is hotlinked and updates when edited automatically it may work, but replacing text is real pain as you lose all styling done in layout app.

15 hours ago, Paul Martin said:

This may seem satisfactory to the layout artists who don't originate and/or edit their content, but I am quite certain it will be a disaster for most other users.

What is a disaster is to make important changes in the text without checking how the text flow after editing it: best way is to modify the text in yours pages and adjust accordingly (overflowing text that disappear, new lines of pages added, etc.).

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Personally I feel (and even have experience) that exporting to Word with a purpose to let authors edit a story while designing is on is a disaster. Maybe if text is hotlinked and updates when edited automatically it may work, but replacing text is real pain as you lose all styling done in layout app.

+1

Usually, importants changes are called "author's editing", and should be done with copyeditor work (in Words, for example) before the text is formatted in pages.
Only minor changes and typos are done after. There's usually an additional cost if you need to reflow (re-do) the work already done.

An important task is to teach how to give modifications, to avoid clients sending another "our_text_v2.doc" where you'll have to search if they modified a coma or more :S (there are a lot of Diff-checker sites or apps to help with this).