You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Store or Microsoft Store for Designer?

I bought Affinity Photo from Microsoft Store and now want to buy Affinity Designer. 

Should I buy this also from Microsoft Store or can I purchase from Affinity Store? I note, from reading this forum, that I cannot launch Affinity Photo from Lightroom because I bought from Microsoft Store. Is there any other issues I need to be aware of for Designer and where I purchase it from?

thanks for any advice

• Staff

Hi Gerard O,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can purchase it from our store (or Microsoft Store) as you prefer. The Microsoft Store version runs on a sandboxed environment which may impose some limitations/restrictions which are not present in Affinity's Store version. Some differences you may find:

- the Microsoft Store version can update the application automatically as long as auto updates are enabled; The Affinity Store version displays a message for you to download and install it manually.

- there's no product keys for the Microsoft Store version. The app is associated with your Microsoft account.

- uninstalling the Microsoft Store version delete/throws away any customization you may have made in case you decide to (re)install it later. The affinity Store version does keep them.

- there may be issues with some Photoshop plugins in the Microsoft Store version but i haven't tested them extensively yet to confirm this.

Hi, 
I did not know about this issue and I purchased Affinity Designer via the Microsoft Store, I would like to migrate to version that runs off my system and not in a sandbox environment.

Currently, I am not able to launch a New Document, as the Designer crashes and gives the message about an "unhandled exception"

Could you please help me out? I would be greatly appreciative if you could sort the matter as soon as possible.

looking forward to it.

Wishes,

Jason M

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Hi Jason.nucleus,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go here (Returns section, downloadable software) for instructions on how to get a refund.

Hi MEB,

I'm satisfied with the software and intend on pursuing it :)

I really don't want to refund or cancel anything, what I am interested in is migrating to a version that is not dependent on the Microsoft Store. 

You can contact me on my email id, please see if you can do the necessary.

Thanks a ton,

Jason M

• Staff

Hi Jason.nucleus,

There's no way to migrate from one store to the other. The Microsoft Store is managed by Microsoft and doesn't require products keys since your purchases there are tied to your Microsoft Account while our Store is managed by us and do require product keys. We have no way to know who has purchased our app from the Microsoft Store since they don't share customer's data with software developers. So if you want to "swap" one version for the other you have to request a refund from Microsoft and then buy it again on our Store.

• 6 months later...

You can get the Grade UI kit via this link: https://affinity.store/checkout/?code=grade-ui-kit

You’ll be guided through the steps to create an Affinity Store account if you don’t already have one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 years later...