You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding clipping mask to a group

Hello, how to add a clipping mask to a group? In screenshot you can see that I want to affect sky in both of my images, it works for one image, but its not working for group. Ive added 2 screenshots, one is from Affinity second one from PS where things work the way I want them to.

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 16.12.25.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 16.26.41.png

At least it sounded like that, though for any concrete answer here somebody from the Affinity team can for sure better tell!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi, YURRI,

I'm not at all familiar w. PS. I mostly use AD for vector work, and have just scratched the surface of AP. I'm not well suited to answer the question, but here's my clumsy way of doing something similar to what are trying to do. This is done w. AD. I know it can also be done in AP, and easier, but I'm going to stick with what I know better.

Place the images you want into which you will put a fill. Switch to pixel persona, and use the selection brush to pick out the areas needed. Use the refine selection option, and save the selections as a new layer. The layer will only have the selections available for re-filling. Paint on that, or place another image into it. The image will need to be nested under the new pixel layer. The parent and child need to be above the layers put in at 1st.

See the attached illustration.

5a4bf7b89e212_BergInsert.thumb.jpg.756910368ff80cf968e7424ae648e5d4.jpg

As far as I know, there is no way in AD to merge the layers, as there is in AP.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 6 months later...

Any news on clipping a pixel layer to a group?

If I rasterize the group it works as expected but that's not an option as I need the ability to adjust elements inside the group.

On 1/2/2018 at 3:28 PM, YURII said:

Hello, how to add a clipping mask to a group? In screenshot you can see that I want to affect sky in both of my images, it works for one image, but its not working for group. Ive added 2 screenshots, one is from Affinity second one from PS where things work the way I want them to.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, YURII said:

Me not reading your post and looking at the PS screenshot and desperately trying to find the controls on AD.

I'm not sure if there's a way to do the same thing in Photo.
Here's a workaround that might help though?

1. Ctrl + click on the thumbnail on the group layer - this should give you a selection around the edges of the items in the group.
2. Select the pixel layer that you want to clip.
3. Choose Layer > New Mask Layer - This will mask the pixel layer with the selection.

I know that will not be live updating thing, so if you adjust the items in the group and move them around you'd have to delete the mask and repeat the steps. It's only a few seconds of extra work though.

There is another way, it's not ideal but does give the effect above

Group your images or shapes, duplicate this group. Add your pixel layer, drag the duplicated group over the thumbnail of the pixel layer, this will now act as a mask. Or you can put the pixel layer below the duplicated group and select mask to below. This works in Designer & Photo.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 09.53.35.png

Another method similar to Murfee's is to duplicate the layer you want to clip for each element in the group and nest those duplicated layers inside each item in the group so each is clipped by the item you've nested it within. You can then use the 'lock children' tickbox in the context bar to prevent them moving. that way you can move the elements around within the group and it would work in a more 'live' way. Again, not ideal but it would work.

9 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Another method similar to Murfee's is to duplicate the layer you want to clip for each element in the group and nest those duplicated layers inside each item in the group so each is clipped by the item you've nested it within. You can then use the 'lock children' tickbox in the context bar to prevent them moving. that way you can move the elements around within the group and it would work in a more 'live' way. Again, not ideal but it would work.

Thanks, that saved me some typing...it was going to be my next suggestion :)