You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

Let me start by saying that Affinity Photo is an amazing piece of software, nevertheless I stumbled upon two issues that I consider relevant: Image quality and file size of exported JPEGs.

I was testing Affinity Photo's export feature and noticed that it produces more pixelated JPEGs when compared with the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop. The file size is also larger (19 Kb in Photoshop vs 23 Kb in Affinity).

These two JPEGs were exported with the same settings. Notice the pixelation on the second image (Affinity).

Photoshop (quality 40 / Bilinear) - 19 Kb:

photoshop-40.jpg

Affinity Photo (quality 40 / Bilinear) - 23 Kb:

affinity-40.jpg

I wonder if there's a workaround for this (both for quality and file size).

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

• Staff

Hi Antonio,

This doesn't look very good - I'm absolutely sure we can find out what's going wrong here and fix it... Is there any chance you'd send us the original image you used for these tests as it obviously seems to show the problem nicely. Our email is support@seriflabs.com - we'll obviously delete the file after fixing the problem :)

Thanks!

Matt

• 6 months later...

At present it seem so. AF has slightly bader quality und higher filesize compared to photoshop. It's ok for me for normal print jpgs, but for web I still use photoshop. But I'm sure the team will fix or improve this in the future. :)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

Can anyone confirm this? Is Affinity's export JPG quality still bad compared to Photoshop?

I have seen similar problems, even Pixelmator creates better exports for some reason.

For example this is a plain .jpg feel that wasn't touched by Affinity software before.

2UCAZTX.png

Then.. I opened > cropped 3px from the bottom and exported it as a jpg with 100% quality. That should give about the same or less file size if I'm not mistaken.

Look what I got back. 1.1mb is a lot bigger, the quality is about the same because I kept it nicely at 100% while exporting.

jWcADUQ.png

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Using these export settings I get phenomenal results without applying any unsharp masking:

ap_export_settings.png

Original file from a digital camera with a size of 6030 x 4030 pixel @ 48bit @ 300ppi:

markt_bremen.jpg

Original file is a scanned large format negative with a size of 12.900 x 8.600 pixel @48bit @ 4.000ppi:

kroepcke_small.jpg

Note that the software mentioned in the Exif is not AP - currently I use AP only for specific tasks. I just opened these files with AP and exported them to generate jpeg files

The file size is identical to the jpeg files I am generating with another app.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

Using these export settings I get phenomenal results without applying any unsharp masking:

ap_export_settings.png

Original file from a digital camera with a size of 6030 x 4030 pixel @ 48bit @ 300ppi:

markt_bremen.jpg

Original file is a scanned large format negative with a size of 12.900 x 8.600 pixel @48bit @ 4.000ppi:

kroepcke_small.jpg

Note that the software mentioned in the Exif is not AP - currently I use AP only for specific tasks. I just opened these files with AP and exported them to generate jpeg files

The file size is identical to the jpeg files I am generating with another app.

I'm using exactly the same settings for export images. But, I resize images before applying watermark. Resize with Lanczos is awesome with white edges, but with colored edges they are visible distortion.

Maybe you can try to apply a watermark without resizing the image first, and then just export with these settings. If you resize first with these settings and then export again with the identical settings I could imagine that applying two times the Lanczos algorithm might lead to unpredictable results.

Unfortunately there is no option to just save a resized image as a jpeg, png or tiff - you always have to apply a certain algorithm.

masters discuss light

Another test with even more colors, critical shadow and highlight areas. Original size 6030 x 4030 pixel. Cropped to 2:1, converted color profile from ECI RGB to sRGB, resized to 1500 x 1000 pixel using Lanczos as mentioned above. Then exported with the same settings as above. Very fine details in the jpeg.

ueberseestadt.jpg

masters discuss light

This option gives very good results, with some certain problems you have to know. Unfortunally is the filesize much bigger than done the same manor in Photoshop. So good results are possible but still with bigger filesizes.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7 4.2, Radeon 580 Pro 8 GB, 40 GB DDR4-RAM, 1 TB Flash, macOS 10.14.6

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, this is terrible!

Affinity's export JPG quality still bad compared to Photoshop? After two years of AP and AD, I still need use Photoshop for export JPG.

In addition, the preview is still missing, when you compress the image you can not view quickly the result ...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.