You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Grading Tools

I currently use Capture One for basic RAW adjustments and most of my color grading. I then take a tiff into Affinity Photo for skin work and finishing touches. The biggest reason for doing color grading in Capture One is that it is very intuitive because of the fact that there is a color wheel for choosing colors as well as saturation for shadows, mid tones and highlights. It would be one more step away from Capture One if Affinity Photo added this. For selfish reasons I’d love it if the iPad version got it first since I almost never use the desktop version anymore.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

Also, it would be great to have the ability to change the luminosity of shadows, highlights and mid tones within the color balance adjustment, ala C1. Just makes color grading so much simpler.

• 1 year later...

Definitely need to bump this in light of the recent release of Pixelmator Photo, which now has this pretty much the same as what's in Capture One! Please give us this, Serif

• 11 months later...

OK, this will be a long one. In the 2 years since I first posted this feature request a few things have changed in my workflow. Before, I liked to do my color grading in Capture One before exporting a tiff for skin work, etc in Affinity Photo. I now like to not have the color grade baked in, so that I can easily change it without losing my skin work. I could always just export from Affinity Photo back to C1 to do my color grade at the end, but it would be much more helpful if I could intuitively and quickly do my color grade in Affinity Photo.

Below are 2 videos showing the difference between color grading in C1 and Affinity Photo for me (no retouching has been done yet, so please don't judge image). As you can see, C1 makes it much easier to preview looks I've created using the Color Balance tool, as well as create new looks on the fly. I know that I could save looks as luts or whatever and preview that way, but that still leaves the creation process, which right now for me, consists of a 6 node gradient map for highlights, shadows and midtones. As you can see in the second video, this is not intuitive at all and definitely not fast.

Also, I already have these layers created in advance and have the blend options set for each layer, otherwise this video would be easily double the length. Even with this process, I still can't control the luminosity of the highs, shadows and mids within this color grade stack. I'd have to add 1 or more adjustments to do that separately.

Panels like the Infinite Color one from Pratik look to bring similar functionality to PS, but as I understand it, these panels will most likely never work in Affinity Photo. As mentioned in my last post on this subject, Pixelmator Photo for iPad now has a similar tool to C1 and it would be great if Affinity Photo could provide this ease of use to color grading. I'd especially love if the iPad version had this as it is my main retouching/color grading platform.

Anyway, thanks for reading/viewing. If there are any more questions I can answer about my suggestion or process, please let me know.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I request right along with you my fellow Brooklyn brethren!

I’ve been using this website at the moment:

https://www.canva.com/colors/color-palette-generator/

All credit goes to the talented & skilled @Bethany Acorn in the video below. 

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Bumping for visibility as I have now used this in LR on iPad and it works pretty much like what I'm used to in C1. C1 is also coming to iPad early next year, so it would be great if AP could get this feature before or around the same time as this to offer better competition. They do different jobs, but there's no reason AP can't have a more intuitive way of doing color grading on iPad and desktop.