You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

problem adding .eps graphics from artboard to Assets

I have several .eps files that refuse to be added to an Asset category after they are dragged and dropped into an artboard and are displaying properly. A small window opens and says: "Assets cannot contain embedded documents". I am not aware of anything aside from the vector flourish that is displayed on an artboard, that might be embedded in the .eps file. What am I doing wrong? Two example .eps files attached.

swirl-floral-vector-design-element-shape_mywLEG.eps

retro-flourish-elements-vector-design_XJ_UVG.eps

Hello wstewl and a Happy New Year:)
I’m afraid this answer might not be terribly helpful to you but I’ve just tried your two files and had no problems adding them to Assets.
Not sure what to suggest now? Other than have you tried the old standby of restarting the App and/or your computer and trying again?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

5 hours ago, wstewl said:

I have several .eps files that refuse to be added to an Asset category after they are dragged and dropped into an artboard and are displaying properly.

If I drag & drop your first eps file onto an existing Affinity Designer artboard (or onto a regular non-artboard canvas), it comes in as an embedded document. My guess is the same thing is happening for you. To check for that, look for it in the Layers Panel, where I think you will see something like this:

embedded.png.05797c5df20b65034da173b21f8fd5ae.png

If so, the solution is quite simple: double-click on that layer, which will open it in a new tab or window with the name "<embedded>" & with a parent "(Layer)" object & all its shapes as child "Curves)" objects. So just select the top level "(Layer)" object in the Layers panel & either drag it from the canvas into the Assets panel or use the Assets panel menu "Add from Selection" to do that.

In the future, you can simplify the process by just opening the eps file directly in Affinity Designer, which avoids the need to create an artboard first or worry about embedding anything in it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you both for the replies. After restarting the system and reloading the program, I have been able to Add from Selection to the Assets panel, after grouping all the separate elements. Unable to drag things onto the Assets panel though.

Regards, & indeed, Happy New Year all!