You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question on colour settings in preferences

I am having difficulty trying to set up Affinity Photo.  Colour theory demands that you use a large working space and convert to a smaller colour space when exporting. The pictures I am editing will normally be TIFFs that I exported from lightroom, using AP as an external editor.

I set Lightroom to export the TIFF and open it in AP with the Pro Photo RGB colour space.

I would like to set this same color space as my working space. For that, I would think that I have to go t Edit, Preferences, Colour and then set Pro Photo RGB in the dropdowns. When I do that with an image open, I can set profoto RGB. When I open and close affinity, the preference does not seem to stick.

So my question is what exactly the colour setting does ?

Gerard

6 hours ago, Cerianthus said:

So my question is what exactly the colour setting does ?

From the online version of the bulit-in help topic "Preferences":

Color options

• You can set up your default RGB, CMYK, Grayscale and LAB color profiles for use in future documents. Select from the pop-up menus.
  • Rendering Intent—Choose the rendering intent for your images. Select from the pop-up menu.
  • Choose whether to apply black point compensation when opening an image.
  • Choose whether to convert an opened file color space to the working space and also choose whether to warn that this has occurred.
  • Choose whether to receive a warning when a working profile is assigned to an unprofiled image.
  • Configure OpenColorIO by choosing a configuration file and working directory. See Using OpenColorIO for more information.
  • Configure additional OpenEXR document import options. See 32-bit OpenEXR support for more information.

So basically, these options set the default work spaces for new ("future") documents, but by also using the 'convert to working space' & optionally the 'warn' options, Affinity Photo should convert any document file you open to the appropriate 'default' space.

Are you saying this is not working for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Cerianthus said:

Thank you. So if I understand correctly there is not a specific working space that can be set, if I open a tiff with a pro photo Rgb profile embedded it will use that as a working space?  (Unless I have that overruled with the convert to setting)

That is how I understand it is supposed to work, & (so far) how it works for me.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Then it works. The only thing is that although pro photo rgb is used by lightroom the profile was not installed in the system. Apparently it is also not part of Affinity. So when no picture with that profile is open, I can't select pro photo rgb as a default. 

ProPhoto RGB also goes by the name ROMM RGB (Reference Output Medium Metric). On Macs, a ROMM RGB profile is installed at path /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ as part of the default OS installation, & is available to Affinity Photo (& any other app that can access color profiles at that system domain path). In Affinity on a Mac, you should see it listed by its ASCII profile name: "ROMM RGB: ISO 22028-2:2013," where the ISO suffix refers to the official ISO version identifier.

I don't know if a similar file is installed on Windows systems.

Affinity Photo