You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustments to selection

I would like to make adjustments on the selection, such as:

1) Make all partially selected pixels fully selected

2) Make all partially selected pixels not selected

3) "Unfeather" selection. For pixels more than 50% selected, make them fully selected, for pixels less than 50% selected, make them not selected.

4) Dim selection, for example everything that is X % selected, make it X/2 % selected

All of this would be achievable if something like a Curves adjustment would be supported on the selection values themselves. I think the Edit Selection As Layer (also known as Quick Mask) mode would be a good place to add support for something like this. If you are editing the selection as a layer, it would be logical to be able to merge in adjustments into the selection layer.

Something similar to 1) and 2) is achievable in Select -> Refine  Edges -> Ramp. However the leftmost and rightmost position of the slider doesn't go far enough and still leave partially selected pixels.

I understand that there is a workaround of creating a new pixel layer, filling the selected pixels, applying adjustments, select by luminosity and remove the temporary pixel layer. However this is pretty convoluted, which is the reason for Edit Selection as Layer to exist in the first place.