You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Microsoft store discrepancy

Greetings!

Some questions:

Why are the Affinity Photo system requirements on Affinity's site different than on the MS store site? Their site states that it is Win 10 only, whereas Affinity indicates Win 7, 8, and 10. I trust the latter, since it is from the developer after all. Is there a difference with the program MS store is selling or are they just continuing to try to shove Win 10 down our throats? Judging from some forum posts i read, it indeed works on Win 7, which is the OS I use, so I can't see why MS isn't being forthright about the requirements for a product that doesn't belong to them.

How come the MS store price is a few bucks cheaper than Affinity's? I can't take advantage of this, since I get the message "This app does not work on your device" (due to not having Win 10), which greys out the "Get the app" button.

The Microsoft Store & Affinity Store versions are not identical. The MS Store version requires certain system services not available in Windows versions older than Win 10, mostly having to do with how purchased apps are downloaded & validated before they will run. Since those services are available only in Windows 10, the MS Store version would not run on Windows 7 or 8 even if the MS Store would let you buy & download it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Slocan,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums

R C-R is correct. If you buy the Windows version directly from Affinity.Serif.Com it will run on the operating systems suggest on our pages. 

I will get the wording of the system requirements improved to clarify the distinction. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the quick response and the welcome!

I downloaded the trial and am testing it out. I see that there are a lot of similarities to PS, but a lot of new things to learn about and get used to.

For starters, I need to figure out things like how to get a PS psd file to load into AP complete with color adjustments layers and their masks intact, because I wasn't successful in my first attempt, and I need to figure out how to set black/white points and all sorts of different things like that. I will check the tutorials, do searches, and read up on things first before I post any questions if I need to. Having said all that, 10 days might not be enough time to decide.

I will say before I go that I already am not a fan of the "save as" function being changed from its traditional longtime use. The use of "save as" here is actually a misnomer, since it only allows saving as an .afphoto file type. Perhaps either leave "save as" in its traditional use rather than using export (which was given a new tasks so to speak) to minimize our confusion due to familiarity and habit, and then add a third iteration for "save as .afphoto" with its own new shortcut, or worse case if it's too late to change that, is to change the name of "save as" to "save as .afphoto", so that it clearly defines it as being save as afphoto only and not anything else. This issue is not an earth shattering thing, since it has nothing really to do with the meat of AP itself, but needs mentioning nonetheless. In addition, I also saw that the panel thumbnail sizes cannot be changed, which is difficult for those of us with poorer eyesight, so I hope that can eventually be remedied as well.

Anyway, I'm digressing and should leave that for other threads where things like this are already being discussed. Apologies.

Happy New Year to everyone!

9 minutes ago, SloCan said:

10 days might not be enough time to decide.

Ten days isn’t very long, especially when you take into account the fact that the clock ticks continuously from the moment you first launch the app (so the amount of actual use is going to be very much less than the theoretical maximum of 240 hours), but Serif does offer a 14-day money back guarantee if you decide to go ahead and make a purchase.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Mark!

I went ahead and bought from you guys.

In retrospect, I should have loaded the trial version before opening this thread. I would have at least known myself that it works in Windows 7.

While trying to figure out things relating to PSD files opened in AP (which I have an open question thread for), I began to learn things and became more familiar with AP, enough to help me decide to buy before the trial was up. Sometimes we learn more while in troubleshooting mode, so that may have helped me. That or the clock that Alfred mentioned was probably ticking in my head. ;)

Cheers!