thegary

Photo RAW really slow on Windows 10 Pro

I have just done a complete fresh in stall of windows 10 pro. i7 6 core, 32gb , GTX980, and solid state drives.

All drivers are up to date. Newest version of Affinity Photo.

RAW editing seems very choppy and slow. It was better on my windows 7 OS that need a serious clean, hence why i did a fresh install.

Any suggestions as to a fix for this. LIGHTROOM is blazing fast. No issues there. 

Trying not to use adobe , but PHOTO RAW is not very usable at the moment on my machine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Gary

Anyone going to answer? I have put this in two groups now. 

Not great tech support.. I use this software for  my job and trying to get this sorted on my downtime. 

If its not sorted soon. Back to adobe. Need this to work if i am to make the workflow change over.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Can you please let me know the camera make and model that you using the RAW files with Affinity Photo when you are experiencing this issue

On 31.12.2017 at 7:06 PM, thegary said:

...RAW editing seems very choppy and slow. It was better on my windows 7 OS that need a serious clean, hence why i did a fresh install...

Any suggestions as to a fix for this. LIGHTROOM is blazing fast. No issues there. 

If I interpret your above statements correctly, then you just reinstalled the newer Win OS 10 pro version instead of Win 7 on the same hardware as before with the same AP version?

Hmm you might want to check possible GPU driver settings here, maybe Cuda vs OpenGL or the like, in order to see if it makes any difference for AP.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

If I interpret your above statements correctly, then you just reinstalled the newer Win OS 10 pro version instead of Win 7 on the same hardware as before with the same AP version?

Hmm you might want to check possible GPU driver settings here, maybe Cuda vs OpenGL or the like, in order to see if it makes any difference for AP.

well everything else on the computer is fine...my 3D programs, Adobe stuff, blender,  fusion, and so on...just RAW IS SO SLOW.

Settings are correct...all drivers are up to date.

Gary

5 hours ago, DWright said:

Hi Gary,

Can you please let me know the camera make and model that you using the RAW files with Affinity Photo when you are experiencing this issue

I just tried it with all you CONTENT from the photo book s well...same problem..so that the GH4 camera, Canon 6D, 5d MK IV, 5D MK II and Rebel T6s.

Don't think its the camera file thats the problem.

Gary

Even here on Macs the RAW processing of AP isn't something I would call fast, it's slow processing in contrast to other RAW converters too here and takes it's time. I've once tried with some of the RAWs of my Nikon cams and among these then only those with smalles RAW file sizes (~16 MB) and it took some longer time. So I afterwards quickly abandoned the idea to process some hundreds of  the bigger ~34 MB RAWs for test purposes with it. - Well and under Windows things are in contrast even slower here.

I was on windows 7 pro about 3 weeks ago and it was alot faster. Just did a fresh install of Windows 10 pro.  All drivers are up to date. But RAW is for lack of better word. HORRIBLE. 

Really needs to be fix..in my opinion, its not worth even having if its this slow.

Gary

Well after the upgrade from Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 pro (some longer time ago now) I had the impression that most apps got started faster as far as no background anti-virus scanning on them or some other intensive mem and disk Win background processes are performed. But as said before, during my personal tryout tests under Win (at least on my hardware) the Affinity products haven't been very speedy there at all and more lame (like driving with the handbrake on) in contrast to other similar tools I tend to use there. So I decided for me to use them instead on a Mac where they behave more speedier in contrast to Win.

8 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well after the upgrade from Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 pro (some longer time ago now) I had the impression that most apps got started faster as far as no background anti-virus scanning on them or some other intensive mem and disk Win background processes are performed. But as said before, during my personal tryout tests under Win (at least on my hardware) the Affinity products haven't been very speedy there at all and more lame (like driving with the handbrake on) in contrast to other similar tools I tend to use there. So I decided for me to use them instead on a Mac where they behave more speedier in contrast to Win.

your right EVERYTHING ELSE IS FASTER....but raw is hopeless...in fact it finally loads images quickly..Big improvement there...but V1.6 and V1.5 were faster at editing the raw.

Loading speeds are good, just need the processing to speed up.

Also when editing or switching panel to go to sharpening say, the interface will freeze , show the underlying WINDOWS template in white  and then go back to working...this is new. 

Like i said not usable..Have tried other things in this forum to fix this but nothing works so far.

How about you AFFINITY...anything?

Gary

On 1/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, DWright said:

Hi Gary,

Why haven't i heard back from you guys on this problem?

Whats going on?

Gary

I have the same problem. Windows 10 on my Laptop has a big problem with Affinity. To open  my RAW files (Canon 80d) I have to wait for ages. There is not any problem with PS. PS opens my files in seconds. The same with editing.

I have a trial version and I m really don't know Is it worth to buy a full version of Affinity?

1 hour ago, Padidivemaster said:

I have the same problem. Windows 10 on my Laptop has a big problem with Affinity. To open  my RAW files (Canon 80d) I have to wait for ages. There is not any problem with PS. PS opens my files in seconds. The same with editing.

I have a trial version and I m really don't know Is it worth to buy a full version of Affinity?

HI there Padidivemaster,

I am not sure about the TRIAL version...but when 1.6 came out, the load times improved alot. Not sure what the TRIAL is. But the editing is horrible.

I am still awaiting an answer. Not impressed with the lack of feedback from these guys. I asked this question 3 weeks ago. NOTHING YET. Had to phone them to get them to reply once, answered their question, and nothing after that...

Gary

3 hours ago, thegary said:

HI there Padidivemaster,

I am not sure about the TRIAL version...but when 1.6 came out, the load times improved alot. Not sure what the TRIAL is. But the editing is horrible.

I am still awaiting an answer. Not impressed with the lack of feedback from these guys. I asked this question 3 weeks ago. NOTHING YET. Had to phone them to get them to reply once, answered their question, and nothing after that...

Gary

Hi Gary

Hopfuly they will answer much quicker than average editing time. Tonight I just gave up. I switched my pc off. I have to admit that I really like that program but stacking more that 2 pcs for bracketing exposure or a simple hdr it is a nightmare. 

Cheers Mate 

23 hours ago, Padidivemaster said:

Hi Gary

Hopfuly they will answer much quicker than average editing time. Tonight I just gave up. I switched my pc off. I have to admit that I really like that program but stacking more that 2 pcs for bracketing exposure or a simple hdr it is a nightmare. 

Cheers Mate 

still nothing today...getting a bit sick of this ..

Gary

Hi Gary,

Can you please try our new beta that was released yesterday and I have tested opening a Canon 6D RAW images on this and it opening in the Develop Persona in around 15 seconds, the beata is avalible from this link

On 1/9/2018 at 3:13 PM, Padidivemaster said:

How big was a raw file? I got a problem with 24 mega from my 80d.

Cheers 

Hey there,

Have talked to AFFINITY through email. WE have tried a bunch of RAW files.. They all seem to be a problem. Only fix found for now is to go to preferences, performance and change  RETINA RENDERING to low ( fastest ). Makes a huge different while editing the RAW file. Darren from AFFINITY has logged the problem and hopefully we will see an update in the future..

Thank you AFFINITY for getting back to me and trying to fix this. 

Make this RAW editor rock and you have Adobe beat!

Gary