You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the maximum number of images i can use to stitch a panorama.

• Staff

Hi Frankinstine,

Welcome to the forums :)

As far as I'm aware ( I Could be wrong) there is no hard limit for maximum photos you can use with Panoramas it will all depend the specifications of your machine and the size of the images etc.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you Calum for the reply!

I'm looking for a good platform to stitch large panoramas with the gimbal Mount mentioned in the subject above. Is it possible to do structure panorama's with the Affinity software? I currently use a program developed and abandoned by Microsoft called ICE( image composite editor). It's super finicky what works better than anything else I could find so far. 

Hi Frankinstine,

I've been using AP a lot to do panos having previously used PTGui, which IMHO is better than ICE. I went back over some older stitches that had caused me issues in the past and AP has handled them surprisingly well (very little reworking and patching)

My panos are no more that 40 frames max (AP handles that no problem) so I don't know if there is a hard limit but I suspect Callum is correct.

There are a couple of things that may initially frustrate, the pano dialogue can't be resized and therefore it's difficult to see which one is best if you have multiple initial renders and there is no options for projection method, that's handled after the stitched image is in the editor with mesh tools or with a plugin like Imadio hemi. Having used the mesh tools for some time now though I'm really happy with them.

Regards

Thank you for the reply harrym.:-) 

What program are you talking about when you referred to "AP"? The Panorama I'm currently working on it is built out of 510 images. I'll have to give PTGui a try again. The last time I tried to use it I couldn't get it to stitch it panorama that was made up of about 750 images. I have confirmed that the limit is over 510 images. I gave one a stitch but it came up with a bunch of smaller panoramas. Is there a way to force all of the images to be a part of one panorama?

This is the image I'm getting out of ICE 

FW3PfCK.png

2 hours ago, Frankinstine said:

What program are you talking about when you referred to "AP"?

Most probably Affinity Photo.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The first time you use an initialism or acronym in your document, the words should be written out with the short form placed in parentheses immediately after. This way, it's clear to the readers exactly what the letters mean. :ph34r:

Affinity Photo (AP)

Or use aText or Typinator if you have a Mac. ;)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Or use aText or Typinator if you have a Mac. ;)

Or just use the text substitution feature built into the Mac OS, accessible through System Preferences > Keyboard > Text tab. I never have to type out "Affinity Photo" or "Affinity Designer" (or for that matter "System Preferences"). For each of those text phrases & many others I set up a text substitution so that typing an exclamation point followed by a two character abbreviation (like AP, AD, or SP) is automatically expanded to the phrase.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

18 hours ago, Frankinstine said:

What program are you talking about when you referred to "AP"? The Panorama I'm currently working on it is built out of 510 images. I'll have to give PTGui a try again. The last time I tried to use it I couldn't get it to stitch it panorama that was made up of about 750 images. I have confirmed that the limit is over 510 images. I gave one a stitch but it came up with a bunch of smaller panoramas. Is there a way to force all of the images to be a part of one panorama?

FW3PfCK.png

Hi Frankinstine,

Apologies, I didn't notice your new around here :) yes I mean Affinity Photo, and welcome!

Looking at your example I would have a couple of concerns;

The number of frames AP allows in a stitch. (only one way to answer that!)

Quite a large portion of that image looks very dark and without reference points (maybe the original raws have detail?) I'd be pretty confident it would handle the stitching complexity with ease if reference points exists as the final image size is no larger than the stuff I work on, I just start with fewer frames.

The software is free to trial. I'd be really interested in how it handles why not give it a go!

Regards

21 hours ago, Frankinstine said:

FW3PfCK.png

I am very curious as to why you would need to stitch together over 500 shots for one pano?  It would seem to me that there would be a very high loss of detail rather than more detail as each shot tried to overcome the last in the detail area - or, am I missing a point here?  I can surely see a pano of 15 - 20 shots doing well, but when you get into the hundreds to would seem to be offsetting??

Hi High Desert,

With the posted example I'd agree 500 is indeed 'excessive', TBH I'd cover that sort of image with three or four portrait stitches but that wouldn't be answering the OP's question really. 'Giga Pan' imaging is amazing when done correctly (and viewed with appropriate software!) imaging a cityscape or mountain range using a telephoto lens (appropriate focal length) to stitch up 100+ frames doesn't loss detail!

https://www.willpearson.co.uk/interactive/gigapixel/infinitely-london/

Regards