You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector stroke like an ink line: start small, get wide, end small again

Hello, 

holiday sale victim here, all new to Affinity Designer! 

I am trying to archive a vector sroke which works similar like a stroke with a metal ink feaher or brush:

The sroke starts very thin, gets wide and then thin again, as if you execute just a little pressure while starting the stroke, give more pessure in the middle and less again in the end.

Most exellent would be if it where possible to adress the thickness of the stroke afer drawing it. The attached image (done in another app) shows the kind of stroke i am talking about.

Is that in Affinity Designer possible as well?

Best regards,

Bildermensch

Luther.png

Or manual pressure settings.

2017-12-31_155925.thumb.png.8eb52547db0818a225d4922a9c49a423.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Ok, thank you guys, 

that after all gave me an idea how to archive what I want. Thank you so much!

Is there aso a way o affect the line thickness on controlpoint level?

I have quite often lines which need to get thick and thin on certain points.

For exammple, take the image of a fist and the knuckles: The top area of an knuckle 

schould be thin, the lower area much thicker.

Affecting the line thickness on controlpoint level would very a convinient way to do the trick.

You could also archve what i am looking for by fiddeling with the thicknes graph, alas it would be rather difficult, wouldt it?

Best regards,

Bildermensch

2 hours ago, Bildermensch said:

Unfortunately, currently there is no way to set the thickness of a stroke on a node-by-node basis, or on individual segments between two nodes. A tool to do this has been requested but so far there is no ETA for if or when it might be implemented.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The airport flight table overview principle, estimated time of arrival. Or ...

Spezifischer je nach Kontext steht ETA als Abkürzung für:

• Estimated time of arrival, deutsch: voraussichtliche Ankunftszeit
  • Estimated time of availability, deutsch: voraussichtliche Verfügbarkeit, Ankündigungszeit der Verfügbarkeit von heruntergefahrenen Systemen (Server, Websites usw.)
  • Estimated time available, deutsch: veranschlagte Frist; in Projektplanungen angegebene Frist zur Erfüllung eines Vorganges

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 12/31/2017 at 7:55 AM, Bildermensch said:

Hello, 

holiday sale victim here, all new to Affinity Designer! 

I am trying to archive a vector sroke which works similar like a stroke with a metal ink feaher or brush:

The sroke starts very thin, gets wide and then thin again, as if you execute just a little pressure while starting the stroke, give more pessure in the middle and less again in the end.

Most exellent would be if it where possible to adress the thickness of the stroke afer drawing it. The attached image (done in another app) shows the kind of stroke i am talking about.

Is that in Affinity Designer possible as well?

Best regards,

Bildermensch

Luther.png

I got cha.....check out my youtube video ....it was the first one I ever did and it does exactly what you are talking about ....it's called stroke profile 

if you are new to affinity.....I teach it through Udemy.....as well as help where I can in the forums...... it is a great program 

Jeremy 

8 hours ago, Bildermensch said:

Hello there, and happy new year!

I was reading through this topic, and I can relate to the struggle of this quote. The best way I can answer is that stroke variation benefits more depending on the style of vector drawing. There is closed paths, open paths, and partially closed paths. For a while, I would draw everything in open paths, because it felt more natural and it was easier to figure out direct spots for profiling, but this makes things harder to go back and edit. I later went back to closed paths and I found a technique that in some cases, it's okay to have fills be partially closed but overlapping others. Let's say you make a circle and you want the width to stick out in a particular spot, well it's hard to figure out in the Profile window since the path is closed. If it were an open bowl shape, we know a starting point and ending point, so it is easier to figure out exact spots.

I will say, however, this method gets very confusing if you use all partially closed shapes. I now combine closed paths and partially closed paths in my work now depending on what I'm trying to achieve. It's okay to combine both styles in one. Another idea, and I don't know if this is what you want, is to keep exteriors with no profile but keep interiors with profiling. In this attachment, I have each element as a closed or partially closed path, but I also have open paths for the line indications (hair, folds in the clothes, bends in the arm). For the open paths, I applied profiling (not all), but I didn't apply profiling to any of the closed shapes.

Sarcastic to Sammy.afdesign

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Bri-Toon,

until AD has the tools I need, i will use another app for what I need. Simple reason is, i want to get stuff done and working with vectors has its advantages, but workspeed is in my case none of it. So i go back and forth between the apps which I have to do anyway, since my final result is supposed to be an animation. Nontheless I enjoy AD quite a bit and I am happy to have that arrow in my quiver now, so to say ...

Best regards,

Bildermensch

Understandable. If you don't mind me asking, what is your animation style? I am into that as well.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am coming from a 3D background and use mainly 3D apps to animate characters and things like the one in the attached image. I am working in a couple of apps and my credo is: If the one app can not solve it the other can. Traveling on a budget i am also always looking for apps which are either open source or give me really a good bang for the buck like AD does ...