You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Experimenting with the use of Affinity Photo 1.6.6 for developing raw files, I discovered the camera/lens metadata seems to be missing from the saved .afphoto files. Is this the intended behavior? When I export a JPG, the exif data is present.

I'm reading this in my DAM, Photo Supreme, which seems to be one of the few mac applications capable of creating a thumbnail image from the native .afphoto file.

Thanks in advance for your answer

Bob

IMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB memory. macOS 13.4.1

AP on which OS and for what cam model and lens vendor model then here?

At least for the Nikon cams I use, I can't reproduce this behaviour with AP on OSX (with the Serif RAW engine), there the Exif data is always correctly stored also within .afphoto files when developed out of the NEFs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 12/31/2017 at 9:46 AM, v_kyr said:

AP on which OS and for what cam model and lens vendor model then here?

At least for the Nikon cams I use, I can't reproduce this behaviour with AP on OSX (with the Serif RAW engine), there the Exif data is always correctly stored also within .afphoto files when developed out of the NEFs.

macOS 10.13.2. Olympus PEN-F and Olympus OM-D E-M10 II.

Additional experimentation --

AP-exported JPEGs of raw images from these cameras contain the EXIF data. To produce a thumbnail from the .afphoto file, my DAM, Photo Supreme, apparently is able to access an imbedded JPEG. However, it cannot see the EXIF data due to the proprietary nature of Affinity Photo native image file I assume. Lyn, the only general-purpose browser I have on my iMac, produces a generic icon for .afphoto files and does not read any metadata. 

IMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 64GB memory. macOS 13.4.1

Ah Ok it seems you meant the DAM software then can't read the Exif data out of .afphoto files and not that APhoto itself looses the Exif data when developing a RAW file and storing the result in an APhoto file.

Yes your DAM software doesn't have any clues about the .afphoto file format internals and thus can't show up this info. Even the OSX Finder QuickLook feature doesn't show up any additional such info. It seems that the Affinity OSX QuickLook addon (which comes with the software) just transports and gives back a thumb image preview here and nothing more.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2