Matt H

Photo 1.6.6: Inpaint function takes forever, result is empty

Really enjoying my trial so far, and looking to buy in the next day or so if we can fix this. :)

I'm following the video in this post: 

Unfortunately, going to Edit -> Inpaint results in spinning all CPU cores for about 5 minutes, then spinning 1 core after that for... well, it's still going about 15 minutes later:

5a48079199a41_ScreenShot2017-12-30at2_39_17PM.png.f605d89bba7e7285d6c6888b1fa99ad3.png

I'm on macOS 10.13.2. I tried it on small regions of about 1000 sq. pixels and it finishes quickly but leaves the area unchanged. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong? :D

Thanks,

Matt

Edit: Okay, so on smaller areas the best I've gotten is this (I would expect the selected region to be entirely filled by extending the blue part on bottom - look at the weird shape):

5a481eb24dc58_ScreenShot2017-12-30at4_17_01PM.thumb.png.792983bc3e549967b77c341a515f9b9d.png

We may need the original image and instructions on what you are trying to Inpaint out to help more precisely with this

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Sure thing; however, because it's a production photo, I will send you the link privately, including a screenshot of how to trigger the bug (please do not distribute the files). I will be happy to send this to any Serif staff who are looking into this. Just let me know. Thanks!

Hi Matt H, files received OK

Try this

Select the background layer then...

1. Layer > Rasterise
2. Select > Alpha Range > Select Partially Transparent  (this simply/quickly selects the transparent parts of the image you want to Inpaint)
3. Edit > Inpaint

It may still take a minute or 2 to perform the Inpainting and you will need to tidy up the result due to the amount of transparent borders you have on the image but it will work.

The important part in the above is the Layer > Rasterise command

Let me know if the above works for you.

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

That does work! It only took about 10 seconds that time. Thank you. Do you know why my initial attempt was causing it to go on forever? (I finally killed it after 45 minutes.) Even when I rasterize the layer and do a smaller selection, the bug still manifests (either it goes on forever or it doesn't do any inpainting). It seems the trick is to select the entire transparent area.

Another quick question: why is rasterizing a layer that's already a pixel layer necessary?

Thanks again, and sorry for the trouble, if this wasn't in fact a bug. (I bought Affinity Photo yesterday and am quite happy with it in every other way so far.)

Rastering a layer cures many unexpected problems when things don't seem to work the way they should do, especially when resizing the canvas or using the inpainting tool 

Affinity Photo tries to work non-destructively when doing certain operations but that can cause problems for certain other operations, rasterizing the layer fixes that

Not sure why selecting smaller selections did not work for you but glad it's sorted now.