You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to avoid Apple Pencil picks colors

When I’m painting slowly to be precise, it picks up colors instead. How to change this behavior?

Thank’s in advance :)

Update: I was forced to go back to AppStore version, as this is unuseable for any brush work. For example I’m using the Paint Mixer Tool, where I have set it to auto reload color, and set color to 0% opacity to automatically clear the brush before each stroke. For every stroke I do, it picks a color instead and loads the brush with it. As there is no gesture for undo, I must lift my right arm to locate the undo-arow under it just to learn that the color selection isn’t undo-able. This really need some improvement before hitting the AppStore version and annoying all users using a brush :)

Edited by JensLundin
Added detailed description of impact of problem

• 2 weeks later...

This is really really annoying and is, at times, making the ability to use the brush tool impossible. 

I would prefer not not to even have the ability to use the colour picker with my  Pencil, or at least make it a two touch system so that you have to hold a button and press on with the pencil?

I am just enters to beta testing program :) When i am impressed with overall quality and quantity, as was stated at first message - it is almost impossible to use apple pencil or to draw. I am practicing in lettering, it very hard to start with fast speed. The delay between starting drawing and color picker appearance is really-really-really extra short. It is better go in one of directions for solving this issue: make it much longer, at least nearby 1 sec or make it adjustable in settings - as user want it to be adjusted.

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

15 hours ago, Chris B said:

We've got a fix for this......

That is excellent news!! :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the fix, that is really the only thing I have big troubles with in the current beta, makes it for lettering unusable. The other added features work really well and I love them, specially the export brushes option. (well the little things hehe <3)

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

• 6 months later...
34 minutes ago, BenjaminM3000 said:

Has this bug/setting been fixed?  It’s really slowing me down constantly changing my color back to my original color. 

If you are painting, then I suggest you to use ProCreate - they actually do fix errors and continues to improve the program. I gave up waiting for Photo for iPad like I did with the Mac version also. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, BenjaminM3000 said:

Has this bug/setting been fixed?  It’s really slowing me down constantly changing my color back to my original color. 

Hey BenjaminM3000, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

It looks like this bug was marked as fixed in February in an older build (1.6.7.74). I've just spent 10 minutes trying this on the current 1.6.8.77 and this bug didn't occur once in the 10 minutes I was trying it. We've set the colour picker loupe to be invoked after a second or so of holding the Apple Pencil very still.

If you're still seeing this, could you please enable Show touches from Preferences > General and do a quick recording? This will help us see the kind of strokes you are doing and how fast/slow etc. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey BenjaminM3000, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

It looks like this bug was marked as fixed in February in an older build (1.6.7.74). I've just spent 10 minutes trying this on the current 1.6.8.77 and this bug didn't occur once in the 10 minutes I was trying it. We've set the colour picker loupe to be invoked after a second or so of holding the Apple Pencil very still.

If you're still seeing this, could you please enable Show touches from Preferences > General and do a quick recording? This will help us see the kind of strokes you are doing and how fast/slow etc. Thanks! 

Make an option for turning it off instead of annoying several people trying to paint in the app with this type of “support”... I have attached an example to show problem. If you are painting wery small details you might work really slow, and then Photo kills your work again and again. 

Best regards

Jens

Will do!  It’s very similar to JensLundins’ video though!  I’m working on human anatomy proportionality. So I’m drawing a lot of guidelines on my canvas.  Just trying to start my guideline in the right location will cause this; especially when using the “continue last” feature for straight lines.  I may be using it wrong though.  I swear I think it’s the palm of my drawing hand doing it too!  I have an iPad Pro 12.9”.  Add a “palm rejection” feature maybe?  Or toggle switch between 1 and 3 seconds?  1 second is almost unusable and really frustrating for me.  Thank you...

4 hours ago, BenjaminM3000 said:

Will do!  It’s very similar to JensLundins’ video though!  I’m working on human anatomy proportionality. So I’m drawing a lot of guidelines on my canvas.  Just trying to start my guideline in the right location will cause this; especially when using the “continue last” feature for straight lines.  I may be using it wrong though.  I swear I think it’s the palm of my drawing hand doing it too!  I have an iPad Pro 12.9”.  Add a “palm rejection” feature maybe?  Or toggle switch between 1 and 3 seconds?  1 second is almost unusable and really frustrating for me.  Thank you...

If you look at my video you can see that when my palm touches the screen, it zooms in so I must zoom out again. So I agree that palm rejection also might be a problem hitting random functions...

• Staff

I've asked the developers what the right answer should be for this. To me, it works fine and how I would want but I can certainly appreciate everyone works differently and require different things.

In the video, it almost feels like you are intentionally trying to make the Colour Picker appear but as I said above, if this is how you're working then it needs to work for you.

We need to find out if the solution is to remove the feature, change the timing or as suggested, have a toggle. I'll update you once I've got my feedback. 

Update - I've just heard back from development and it looks like Photo's behaviour may change to match that of Designer. In Designer, the Colour Picker doesn't appear and the way the brushes work is slightly different (it's much more responsive) but we are still trying to work out the best solution for everyone.

13 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've asked the developers what the right answer should be for this. To me, it works fine and how I would want but I can certainly appreciate everyone works differently and require different things.

In the video, it almost feels like you are intentionally trying to make the Colour Picker appear but as I said above, if this is how you're working then it needs to work for you.

We need to find out if the solution is to remove the feature, change the timing or as suggested, have a toggle. I'll update you once I've got my feedback. 

Hi Chris B,

Yes, I’m trying to demonstrate the problem by slowing more down here. When painting/drawing in real life, I (and others) do get annoyed by it without thinking about the speed we work - that’s why I gave up painting in Photo long time ago - I got an e-mail from the forum that there was an update on this thread - that’s the only reason I commented on it. I paint using ProCreate and occasionally use Photo for adjustments and resize, but it would be nice if Photo worked with palm rejection and also got two finger tap undo, like Designer got, and everyone else uses. A simple solution might be that you must use the finger to pick colour by tapping and holding it for 1 second, and letting the pen work as a pen.

Best regards

Jens

• Staff

Photo will definitely be getting the two finger undo. If you're only using an Apple Pencil, I'd suggest you have 'Touch for gestures' enabled if you haven't already as this will assist in palm rejection. If you do have it enabled, it might still need a bit of tweaking.

I'll make sure to test all this once Photo gets the Designer changes/fixes.

7 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Photo will definitely be getting the two finger undo. If you're only using an Apple Pencil, I'd suggest you have 'Touch for gestures' enabled if you haven't already as this will assist in palm rejection. If you do have it enabled, it might still need a bit of tweaking.

I'll make sure to test all this once Photo gets the Designer changes/fixes.

I already have touch for gestures enabled - other apps have several options for setting palm rejection handling - if Photo is ment to be “one setting fits all” it will only suit people targeted for this selected setting...

Thanks.

Great!  Thank you so much!  I've been trying to simulate the problem consistently and I'm pretty sure I've succeeded.  The problem is happening pretty consistently when I place the knuckle of my pinky down a fraction of a second before the pen.  I think when my knuckle touches its starting the one second countdown so when I finally place my pen it chooses the color picker almost instantly.  I'm using light pen pressure and drawing a small dot -- which I was using to make guidelines using the "continue last" feature.  I'm working on making a video of it but its coming out kind of dark.  I'll try another method later.  Please try and see if you can simulate the problem by placing the knuckle of your pinky finger first and drawing small dots.  Thank you for your efforts!

Benjamin

• Staff
43 minutes ago, BenjaminM3000 said:

Great!  Thank you so much!  I've been trying to simulate the problem consistently and I'm pretty sure I've succeeded.  The problem is happening pretty consistently when I place the knuckle of my pinky down a fraction of a second before the pen.  I think when my knuckle touches its starting the one second countdown so when I finally place my pen it chooses the color picker almost instantly.  I'm using light pen pressure and drawing a small dot -- which I was using to make guidelines using the "continue last" feature.  I'm working on making a video of it but its coming out kind of dark.  I'll try another method later.  Please try and see if you can simulate the problem by placing the knuckle of your pinky finger first and drawing small dots.  Thank you for your efforts!

Benjamin

The knuckle of my pinky only interferes when 'Touch for gestures' is disabled. When enabled, nothing seems to happen. I'll wait for your video.

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, Chris B said:

Hey JensLundin,

I logged this issue before Christmas so there's been no movement on it yet but I think it definitely needs looking at. I'll add your feedback to the bug report. Thanks! 

Your answer really needful to us. It is working and thanks for sharing your valuable time.:)

Daniel Dixon

PHP Developer

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.