davidmmac

Windows 10 Update causes Affinity Photo to crash when opening a file ....

Windows 10 has just installed (after much insistence) a major upgrade to Windows 10 (version 1709 - see image). 

No problems prior to this. Now trying to open a file (any method) causes Affinity Photo to crash.(see 2nd image)

I have :

rebooted my computer,

repaired the (Affinity Photo) software,

then removed and re-installed the software (version 1.6.1.93).

No change.

Two crash reports have been sent to Serif (today). 

Where to next? 

Fullscreen capture 20171230 004517.bmp

Fullscreen capture 20171230 004546.bmp

Davidmmac 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

Serif are closed till the New year, but I expect that we can look at your crash reports on our return. 

I would suggest that you try pressing the CTRL key as the program starts and resetting the program by checking all the options offered. 

You should consider changing your forum name away from an email address. Let me know if you want me to do it for you by removing the @ and everything after it. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

11 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Davidmmac 

Serif are closed till the New year, but I expect that we can look at your crash reports on our return. 

I would suggest that you try pressing the CTRL key as the program starts and resetting the program by checking all the options offered. 

You should consider changing your forum name away from an email address. Let me know if you want me to do it for you by removing the @ and everything after it. 

Thanks Patrick. I have tried your suggestion, unfortunately it doesn't help... still cannot open any file :  not from open from file, hdr, ex clipboard, ..... cannot even create a new document. As soon as an option is selected file starts loading, then ......... CRASH.

i'LL SURVIVE UNTIL NEXT YEAR ;) HAPPY 2018 !!!

Hi Davidmmac

In File Explorer can you go to %appdata%/Affinity/Photo/1.0/ CrashReports and attach the report here. Is this crash only opening a specific file, any file or do you also get it for new document too?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

16 hours ago, davidmmac@hotmail.com said:

I have updated the GPU driver. Also updated Java (as recommended by the GPU manufacturer NVIDIA).

Started AF with Ctrl Key, reset all parameters.

Same issue.

Attached screen dump and Crash report.

Next?

5dccd446-b0ea-476f-8d24-950965556250.dmp

Fullscreen capture 20180104 200053.bmp

Do you have an integrated GPU? i.e. are you on a laptop? If so, Affinity might still be using that (and you might not have updated the integrated GPU drivers). Go to Preferences | Performance to see which card it will use when creating a new document.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

David, I would recommend changing your username to not be your email address, else spambots will harvest the email address and spam you.

Thanks Mark - Patrick O'Connor offered to do this for me - see below. If I can change it myself please let me know how/where?

Davidmmac 

I did respond asking him to do so. 

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have an integrated GPU? i.e. are you on a laptop? If so, Affinity might still be using that (and you might not have updated the integrated GPU drivers). Go to Preferences | Performance to see which card it will use when creating a new document.

Thanks Mark - back in business - it was set to use the 'default' Intel GPU (yes it is a laptop). I changed it to use the (arguably better) NVIDIA GEFORCE as it's renderer, and it's looking better than ever. 

Your help is appreciated. 

Now just to sort out that username, and you can close 'the ticket' ;) ...........

I found a solution that works for me and also fixes the crashes I had with Designer as well as Photo.  To be clear, my crashes were when these programs were starting on Windows 10.    They would open briefly before closing.  Eventually they would open if I tried enough times, but it was unstable.  This only affected my desktop computer, not my laptop.  

If this is the type of crash you are getting, try my solution.  It's simply to run these programs in compatibility mode.  I chose Windows 8 compatibility and it worked fine. 

If you don't know how to do this, I have written up a brief tutorial on my site, though I am not sure if I am allowed to link to it from the forum.  MOD: When you moderate this post, I'll understand if you delete the link.  Here is the link:

https://andyjwilliams.co.uk/technology/affinity-photo-crashing-windows-10/

affinity photo compatibility.jpg