You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I would like to know if Affinity photo is going to make the Nix collection work properly in the program. I have just read that Dxo have purchased the collection from Google and intend to relaunch it sometime in 2018. I use the Nix collection and find it very good, but in some of the add ons we suffer from colour cast so you have to keep coming out to see how our adjustments have worked. I will defiantly want to get the updated version when it gets realised, even if it has to be paid for. I do hope Affinity. has plans to make it work properly, as not to would be a very short sighted move. Nix has many adjustments that Affinity hasn't and is a very useful add on to have.

Mikep

8 minutes ago, mikep said:

I will defiantly want to get the updated version when it gets realised, even if it has to be paid for.

I don't imagine for a moment that DxO purchased the Nik Collection so that they could give away an enhanced version! That aside, I hope the current version remains freely available from its new owners.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Nix means nothing in German and as it's name suggerates will do then of course nothing here. :D

But seriously this depends more on several things here. First the used implementation of the AP plugins PS-API, which at best seems to be less then optimal for already existing third party plugins at all. Second there isn't any sort of documentation or some working example of how to hook in and comunicate the right way via a PS-API into/with AP here. - Without some clear information and specs from Affinity of how to support AP here, there will be NIX working out of the box for third party plugins.

The NIK collection will be probably enhanced by DxO and parts of it incorporated into other DxO tools, but it's questionable if the collection itself will remain to be freely available in the future.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

7 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Nix means nothing in German

Nix means nothing in English, too (but it's borrowed from German, of course). ;)

Alfred spacer.png

35 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don't imagine for a moment that DxO purchased the Nik Collection so that they could give away an enhanced version! That aside, I hope the current version remains freely available from its new owners.

it is free from their site

2 minutes ago, mikep said:

it is free from their site

Thanks, Mike. I was aware of that, but what I meant is that I hope the existing version continues to be available for free after they release a new, paid-for version.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Nix means nothing in English, too (but it's borrowed from German, of course). ;)

Does that mean we are expected to give it back at some point in the future? :S

BTW, it also has a verb meaning in English: to veto or reject something. So one might surmise that DXO's purchase may nix the release of new free NIK versions, unless someone discovers a fix for the nix. If that was the work of a small, exclusive group, they might call themselves the NIK nix fix clique. O.o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Nix means nothing in German and as it's name suggerates will do then of course nothing here. :D

But seriously this depends more on several things here. First the used implementation of the AP plugins PS-API, which at best seems to be less then optimal for already existing third party plugins at all. Second there isn't any sort of documentation or some working example of how to hook in and comunicate the right way via a PS-API into/with AP here. - Without some clear information and specs from Affinity of how to support AP here, there will be NIX working out of the box for third party plugins.

The NIK collection will be probably enhanced by DxO and parts of it incorporated into other DxO tools, but it's questionable if the collection itself will remain to be freely available in the future.

Err isn't nichts German for nothing? just saying ...

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

6 minutes ago, mikep said:

Sorry no one has answered my question. Will Affinity photo make Nix and other plugins work in Affinity? Not asking to much am I?

We are assuming you mean the NIK collection. If you mean something else, please explain what that might be.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

45 minutes ago, mikep said:

Sorry no one has answered my question. Will Affinity photo make Nix and other plugins work in Affinity? Not asking to much am I?

Sorry I was just joking about the NIX instead of NIK naming here. - I thought it might be clear from the above said, that it is no easy or trivial task for Affinity here, to make a primary for Photoshop developed programming API to behave the same graceful way for Affinity apps here. The Affinity apps don't share the exact same underneath function and code models of PS data exchange, so they have to do some internal mapping/adapting/bridging from the PS related functions and interfaces to their own internal implemented ones.

I'm not sure if they ever can adapt that PS API in such a correct working, graceful manner for their own software here, so that already existing third party plugins which don't have any clues about the Affinity apps will well behave in interoperation. - Thus I always suggested that Affinity may better define and offer their own PS independent plugin API, which third parties can then use to adapt their plugins for the Affinity apps.

So in short, it not only depends on Affinity itself but also here on the third parties, to adapt their plugin software in a well behaving/operating manner for the Affinity apps. Let's add here that there also isn't any official public Affinity documentation available how to make correct use of the PS API for the Affinity apps, which in turn makes things more vague and overall difficult to handle.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2