You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon 77D RAW issues. Where's all the colour gone?

In October I replaced my trusty Canon 40D with a Canon 77D and I bought Affinity as an alternative Photoshop, as my version would not open the Canon 77D raw files without a purple layer.   I've not really used Affinity in processing RAW images until these last few days whilst I've being on holiday for the festive period.    Now I've noticed there seem to have an issue when importing the Raw files into Affinity, all the colour seems to be missing, or washed out.  Even the histograms are different.  I'm using the camera to take both RAW and Large JPG images.   I've attached some images to show what I mean.  I've looked at other threads but all the things it suggests I've not being able to make a difference to the RAW import.   Any help on this issue would be greatly received.  Im more than happy using the JPG's but I would like to edit the RAW images with the colours in which they were actually shot. 

Affissues 1.jpg

affissues2.jpg

Affissues3.jpg

Hello Colin,

The jpg image is already processed inside the camera from the raw version, following the settings defined by the manufacturer.

The RAW file contain much more information but what you see when you open it, it's a flat version of the image it contains and through the develop persona, you'll define how you want it to be processed by Affinity (contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc.).

You have a list of videos tutorials with a complete section for RAW development.

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

The images you took as an example are pretty dark, it can explain why you see a big difference, the camera trying to generate a more balanced jpg.

You can also try to change the RAW engine in "View > Assistant Manager..." and change the RAW engine from Serif Labs to Apple and reopen your files to see if the default development is different.

For some reason I can't change the settings away from Serif.

You can’t change the RAW engine from Serif Labs to Apple Core Image on a Windows PC. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 30/12/2017 at 11:16 AM, Colin B said:

For some reason I can't change the settings away from Serif.  That's the only option it will allow me to have.

Sorry, my bad.

I didn't notice you were using the Windows version.

Hi All, Thanks for all your responses.   I went back to the camera and decided to look at what I could do with the settings to try and address the issues.  So Ive switched the camera into ADOBE RGB and the colours are now showing up when I import them into Affinity.   I will have to wait for another sunset to see if I can edit them more easily.

• 8 months later...

Hi Colin B, I have the same problem with my EOS 77D. And the color space change to Adobe RGB doesn't do a thing for me. 

Anyway this seem so be a problem of the Affinity Raw Engine, which officially doesn't support some of the most recent mid-price Canon DSLRs. 

See here 

Quit a pity :42_confused: