You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

WIN 7, a{ V. 1.6.2.97

In an Affinity Photo Tutorial on Lynda.com, in the section on refining a selection using the quick mask, "If we hold the kControl ad Otion keys together, we can drag up and down on the tool to make it harder and softe, and wwe can drag left and right to make it smaller and larger."

What I get is circle with color values e.g. white = R 255 G 255 B 255, in fact that happens as soon as I use the Option key.

This same tutorial says to Zoom with Cmd/Ctrl + Spacebar/--doesn't happen.

In my version, when selecting, I have tool bar choices of New, Add, Subtract, Intersect and the online tutorial doesn't--I don't think the shortcut keys in the tutorial work the same way.

I would really like to have a current tutorial that works.  I'm very frustrated.  I have AP on an iPad 2 and haven't noticed these problems.

I'm not getting any work done because I'm struggling adapt from PS and not only is the app slow but fighting me every step of the way.

On windows brush size and hardness is alt and left and right mouse button.

For the zoom you can set the mouse wheel in preferences.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

2 hours ago, LLM said:

This same tutorial says to Zoom with Cmd/Ctrl + Spacebar/--doesn't happen.

You must press and hold down the Spacebar, then the Ctrl key. That brings up the Zoom tool. Drag to zoom.

It wont work if you press the Ctrl key first.

Press, Alt, then both buttons and you should get this.

bt.jpg.86faf7684f2049b7a07d7cac0e20ddd1.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I just tried again and the shots below were taken using left mouse but nothing happens with Ctrl +Alt + right mouse button

Just tried and I still get what looks like an eyedropper.  Screen shots attached. 

I also tried keyboard shortcut 'd' to revert to black and white but nothing happened. The shortcut 'x' switched foreground and background.

Because I'm so new, I probably have a setting wrong

I didn't see anything happen when I  clicked the eyedropper in the color studio

Photo Dec 29, 9 08 54 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 29, 9 09 33 AM.jpg

Photo Dec 29, 9 15 08 AM.jpg

Edited by LLM
Clarify which mouse button I used

30 minutes ago, LLM said:

I just tried again and the shots below were taken using left mouse but nothing happens with Ctrl +Alt + right mouse button

What are you trying to do ?

Alt plus both mouse buttons changes brush size. No Ctrl !

Spacebar first, then Ctrl and drag zooms.

To make colours revert to black and white you have to set a shortcut. I set Shift + Ctrl + X

Edit > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts > Miscellaneous > Set Fill to Black and White

set.png.761c1299bfc6addd5b311504301caa1e.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

35 minutes ago, LLM said:

nothing happens with Ctrl +Alt + right mouse button

To change the brush size, you need to hold down the Alt key and press both the left and the right mouse button (i.e. not just the right mouse button on its own) while you drag.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, LLM said:

I have no Miscellaneous in my Preferences/Keyboard shortcuts..see att.

I don't see any attachment in your posts that would show the Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts window, but if you open the Keyboard Shortcuts Preference window, for each of the first popup's choices (like Photo, Liquify, etc.) the last item on the second popup's choices should be Miscellaneous, just like in the screenshot @toltec provided.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I don't see any attachment in your posts that would show the Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts window

Look a little closer at the first h :)

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

9 hours ago, dutchshader said:

Look a little closer at the first h :)

I think the post was edited to include that after I posted my reply, but whether that is true or I just missed it, the 'h' screenshot shows a scrollbar indicating there are more items in the popup list than are shown. I assume the same was true for the first popup list & @LLM did not notice that or scroll it far enough down to see its last item, which should be Miscellaneous.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7